Splunk Search

How do I edit my search to create a timechart with the mean per day for the top 5 pages in the last 7 days?

zineer

I'm sure this is probably easier than I'm making it, but I can't quite get what I want.

In our hit logs we track form ID (af) and request time in ms (et). I want to chart the mean(et) per day for each of the top 5 pages (by hit count) in the last 7 days. I have this so far:

source="apacheaccess.log" ac = "customer" | timechart span=1d mean(et) AS mt count AS cnt by af limit=5 useother=f

which is close, but it also charts the cnt field which I don't need to see. How do I exclude the count from the timechart?

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you just want to remove the count just use |fields - *cnt* after timechart

Happy Splunking!

View solution in original post

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you just want to remove the count just use |fields - *cnt* after timechart

Happy Splunking!

zineer

A wildcard when removing the field! Of course! I had tried it without the wildcard since I called it "cnt" but of course that didn't work. I didn't think to use a wildcard there. If you make this into an "answer" I can accept it! Thanks!!

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Glad that it's worked for you!

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
 source="apacheaccess.log" ac = "customer" | timechart span=1d mean(et) AS mt by af limit=5 useother=f
0 Karma

zineer

Thanks! I had tried that, but it gives the top 5 mean times whereas what I'm looking for is the mean time of the top 5 most visited pages. I've edited the question to clarify that.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ok so you want a timechart that shows the top 5 pages by mean(et) over time?

Try this:
...| stats mean(et) as mt by af, _time | top 5 mt by af, _time | timechart mt by af

0 Karma

zineer

Close. I want to find the the top 5 pages by count(af) for the last 7 days, then for each day find the mean(et) for each of those 5 pages.
So if the top 5 pages as sorted by "count by af" are A, B, C, D, E, F, then I want to see:

Jan 22: A - mean(et) = 5, B - mean(et) = 10, C - mean(et) = 8, etc 
Jan 23: A - mean(et) = 6, B - mean(et) = 9, C - mean(et) = 8, etc
etc
0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ok thats doable but I'm mobile now and can't test my searches. I'll convert my answer to comment and maybe someone else will answer. I will check back ASAP too.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...