Splunk Search

How do I edit my report on inventory of systems to get my expected output?

geoeldsul
Explorer

Looks like Splunk could be very useful in performing an inventory of systems. I have a report that runs with these parameters:

Src_IP="10.3.30.*" | stats dc(Src_IP) as Src_IP by Security_ID Src_IP | sort src_IP  ( *Run this with a time frame of TODAY*)

It works pretty good and is usable, but I was wondering if some of you long time Splunkers could help me refine it. My output is currently:

MyDomain\System1      10.3.30.15
MyDomain\FSmith       10.3.30.15
NULL SID              10.3.30.15
MyDomian\System2      10.3.30.20
MyDomain\BJones       10.3.30.20
NULL SID              10.3.30.20

So this lets me know that FSmith is using System1 and through a couple of days of checking I can reasonably surmise that FSmith is the dominate user of this system. Same with BJones and System2. How can I make it avoid the NULL SID entry? Is there a way to make it produce output like this:

MyDomain\System1    FSmith    10.3.30.15
MyDomian\System2    BJones    10.3.30.20 

or better yet

System1  FSmith   10.3.30.15
System2  Bjones   10.3.30.20

These systems are remote, so I can't just walk over and do a visual inventory. And we have a couple of remote sites.

0 Karma
1 Solution

geoeldsul
Explorer

Ok. Sort of got it figured out. The Answer ... just change what is being searched.

The following is providing better output:

src_ip="10.1.30.*" |stats dc(src_nt_host) by src_nt_host user src_ip | sort src_nt_host

Example output returned is:

src_nt_host            user          src_ip
system1               JTKirk       10.1.30.15
system2               MRSpock      10.1.30.17

View solution in original post

0 Karma

geoeldsul
Explorer

Ok. Sort of got it figured out. The Answer ... just change what is being searched.

The following is providing better output:

src_ip="10.1.30.*" |stats dc(src_nt_host) by src_nt_host user src_ip | sort src_nt_host

Example output returned is:

src_nt_host            user          src_ip
system1               JTKirk       10.1.30.15
system2               MRSpock      10.1.30.17
0 Karma

geoeldsul
Explorer

No. Unfortunately these systems are isolated and cannot reach the internet. You can probably see the same type logs in your Windows Security Logs.
LogName=Security
SourceName=Microsoft Windows Security Auditing
EventCode=4624
EventType=0

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you post some sample logs which contains all three type of entry for Security_ID field? (one containing system, second containing user and third with NULL SID)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...