Splunk Search

How do I edit my regular expression for rex to extract all expected fields and values from my sample multiline event?

pkudrle

Here is the logged event:

SepsisGraphBuilderImpl: 11252495 MS
  VitalsGraphBuilderImpl: 2257 MS
  Mic2GraphBuilder: 358360 MS
  RasGraphBuilderImpl: 201 MS
  PatientInfoGraphBuilder: 1992 MS
  InterventionEventGraphBuilderImpl: 372 MS
  ObservationInfoGraphBuilder: 42472 MS
  DrugOrderGraphBuilder: 31849 MS

SurgeryAndRadiologyGraphBuilder: 232 MS

I am wanting to grab each graphbuilder and the time in MS. I thought this search would work, but I am only getting Mic2GraphBuilder:

host=s*gs* *GraphBuilder* | rex field=_raw "(?<object>\w+GraphBuilder*): (?<totalms>\d+) MS" | table object, totalms
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your regex is looking for words that end with "GraphBuilde" and any number of r's on the end. Try this

host=s*gs* *GraphBuilder* | rex field=_raw "(?<object>\w+GraphBuilder\w*): (?<totalms>\d+) MS" | table object, totalms

If you have one graphbuilder/time pair per event then this will work. If you have multiple pairs per event then you will have to add max_match=0 to the rex command and then process the object and totalms fields as multi-valued fields.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

acharlieh
Influencer

Without a Splunk in front of me, I wonder if it's actually be easier to use extract with perhaps untable something like...

host=s*gs* *GraphBuilder* | extract kvdelim=":" | untable _time object totalms

There may be some eval to clean up but it seems like it'd be easier than fighting regular expressions to make multi valued fields.

pkudrle

Unfortunately there is some text before and afterwards that interfere

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your regex is looking for words that end with "GraphBuilde" and any number of r's on the end. Try this

host=s*gs* *GraphBuilder* | rex field=_raw "(?<object>\w+GraphBuilder\w*): (?<totalms>\d+) MS" | table object, totalms

If you have one graphbuilder/time pair per event then this will work. If you have multiple pairs per event then you will have to add max_match=0 to the rex command and then process the object and totalms fields as multi-valued fields.

---

pkudrle

how do you then parse the multi-valued fields as pairs?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You combine the two multi-valued fields and then expand them into separate events. Then you process each event as you normally would. Something like this.

host=s*gs* *GraphBuilder* | rex field=_raw "(?<object>\w+GraphBuilder\w*): (?<totalms>\d+) MS"  | eval pairs=mvzip(object,totalms) | mvexpand pairs | ...
---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...