Splunk Search

How do I do a cidr match/not match in a tstats search?

MonkeyK
Builder

I am trying to get a list of the most common sources and destinations of blocked traffic from the previous day with some exclusions (like not sourced fromauthorized vulnerability scanners). So far I have come up with

Sources:

|tstats summariesonly=t count FROM datamodel=Network_Traffic
WHERE All_Traffic.action!="allowed" All_Traffic.src_ip!=64.39.96.0/20 earliest=-1d@d latest=@d
BY All_Traffic.src_ip
| sort limit=10 -count

But when I do the above, I get results that include an IP address that is in 64.39.96.0/20

I have learned that I can search my results to get rid of the extra source:

|tstats summariesonly=t count FROM datamodel=Network_Traffic
WHERE All_Traffic.action!="allowed" All_Traffic.src_ip!=64.39.96.0/20 earliest=-1d@d latest=@d
BY All_Traffic.src_ip
| search All_Traffic.src_ip!=64.39.96.0/20
| sort limit=10 -count

but this feels inefficient (query something that I don't need and remove it later).

Also, it does not address my next use case: top destination IPs where the source does not include 64.39.96.0/20

|tstats summariesonly=t count FROM datamodel=Network_Traffic.All_Traffic
BY All_Traffic.dest_ip
| sort limit=10 -count

is there a way to exclude 64.39.96.0/20 directly in the where clause?

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Actually, natural CIDR filters work in tstats.

Like this:

| tstats count FROM datamodel=Network_Traffic WHERE index=* AND All_Traffic.src="10.0.0.0/8"

And this:

| tstats count WHERE index=* AND host="10.0.0.0/8"

This has been in Splunk for a long time, but maybe not always. It works in all versions of 7.*

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Actually, natural CIDR filters work in tstats.

Like this:

| tstats count FROM datamodel=Network_Traffic WHERE index=* AND All_Traffic.src="10.0.0.0/8"

And this:

| tstats count WHERE index=* AND host="10.0.0.0/8"

This has been in Splunk for a long time, but maybe not always. It works in all versions of 7.*

dshpritz
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just a note that 7.3 adds the ability to have negated CIDR in tstats.

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I knew that there was something new in 7.something. Thanks!

0 Karma

wryanthomas
Contributor

We've observed that the cidr match functionality in tstats (as described in answer by woodcock -- thanks!) is working for IPv4 addresses ... but not for IPv6 addresses.  Any info on support for cidr match in tstats for IPv6 addresses?

0 Karma

MonkeyK
Builder

I think that I have a way to do the filtering.
By counting on both source and destination, I can then search my results to remove the cidr range, and follow up with a sum on the destinations before sorting them for my top 10

|tstats summariesonly=t count FROM datamodel=Network_Traffic.All_Traffic
WHERE All_Traffic.action!="allowed" earliest=-1d@d latest=@d

BY All_Traffic.src_ip All_Traffic.dest_ip
| search All_Traffic.src_ip!=64.39.96.0/20
| chart sum(count) as Count over All_Traffic.dest_ip
| sort limit=10 -Count

Still seems inefficient (although faster than without tstats). Maybe Splunk could do something about that.

0 Karma

isabel_ycourbe
Path Finder

I just ran into your answer since I had the same issue, to slightly improve performance (I think - didn't measure) I did a pre-filter on the tstat using wildcards so I give less results to search, then narrow the results with search (in my case I needed to filter all private IPs) as you suggested

| tstats summariesonly=T 
    count 
    from datamodel=Network_Traffic.All_Traffic 
    where 
        (
            All_Traffic.dest=10.*
            OR All_Traffic.dest=192.168.*
            OR All_Traffic.dest=172.* 
        ) 
        AND All_Traffic.action="allowed" 
        AND 
        (
            All_Traffic.transport="tcp"
            OR All_Traffic.transport="udp"
        ) 
    by All_Traffic.dest
| search All_Traffic.dest=10.0.0.0/8
    OR All_Traffic.dest=192.168.0.0/16
    OR All_Traffic.dest=172.16.0.0/12

In my case the wildcards we almost enough since it works well for /16 and /8, but I still needed to use a CIDR search for 172.16.0.0/12.

MonkeyK
Builder

Good suggestion!

0 Karma

MonkeyK
Builder

I feel a little cheesy accepting my own answer, but I don't think that something better is coming along.

0 Karma

dshpritz
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You shouldn't this is the only correct answer at the moment. Tstats is not CIDR aware for WHERE clauses.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...