Splunk Search

How do I create and display a trend of the 10 largest database tables returned in my search results?

treadyho

I am setting up some trending. We currently collect stats on the largest tables and load them into Splunk. I am able to retrieve the 10 largest tables with the following search:

sort - data_object_p_size | head 10 |  eval TableName= tabschema."-". tabname | table TableName, data_object_p_size

I would like to use the results from the search to include the table size over the last 90 days so I can gather the trend. Basically, I would like something like:

TableName, Current Size, Size 30 days ago, Size 60 days ago, Size 90 days ago, Monthly growth

Could someone point me in the direction of where to get started? Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are multiple approaches you could take, but for a general discussion on how to combine search results from two (or more) time periods in one report, I would start here. You can extend this to support multiple time periods.

If your data is such that you have one event per day, you can probably just use appendcols to retrieve your top10 values for 30,60,90 days.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are multiple approaches you could take, but for a general discussion on how to combine search results from two (or more) time periods in one report, I would start here. You can extend this to support multiple time periods.

If your data is such that you have one event per day, you can probably just use appendcols to retrieve your top10 values for 30,60,90 days.

0 Karma

treadyho

Ended up doing join, thanks for the help

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...