Splunk Search

How do I create a piechart visualization with the count of two field values and the sum of both displayed?

zacksoft
Contributor

I have a query that gives me the count of certain events with keyword 'ab' OR with keyword 'pq'.
The query is like this

host="somehost1" OR "somehost2" OR "somehost3"
("ab" OR "pq")
| eval count_1 = if(like(_raw,"%ab%")
| eval count_2 = if(like(_raw,"%pq%")
| stats count(count_1) as ab_EventCount sum(count_2) as pq_EventCount

This query gives me the event count with keyword 'ab' and keyword 'pq' in a tabular format in the statistics tab.
I wanted a visualization in Pie chart with showing the percentage of ab_EventCount in one slice , pq_Eventcount in another slice out of the total events this query gives us. But when I choose visualization tab it doesn't happen. The pie shows all wrong.
Could anyone guide me ?

0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi zacksoft,
try something like this:

host="somehost1" OR "somehost2" OR "somehost3" ("ab" OR "pq") 
| eval word1=if(like(_raw,"%ab%"),"ab"," "),word2=if(like(_raw,"%pq%"),"pq"," "),word=coalesce(word1,word2)
| stats count by word

If it doesn't run put a char (e.g."-") in the eval if)
and then shot them in a pie.
Bye.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Since there is already an accepted answer, I am adding searchmatch() example which is used for searching pattern within raw data.

| stats count(eval(searchmatch("ab"))) as ab_count count(eval(searchmatch("pq"))) as pq_count
| transpose

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI
Can you please try this one?

host="somehost1" OR "somehost2" OR "somehost3" ("ab" OR "pq") | eval count_1 = if(like(_raw,"%ab%")) | eval count_2 = if(like(_raw,"%pq%")) | stats count(count_1) as ab_EventCount sum(count_2) as pq_EventCount  | transpose

I have just added | transpose to your search.

Thanks

zacksoft
Contributor

Thanks kamlesh. The solution you provided works 🙂

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Welcome @zacksoft,

Please accept @cusello or my answer and upvote the comments that help you to close this question.

Happy Splunking

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi zacksoft,
try something like this:

| eval word1=if(like(_raw,"%ab%"),"ab"," "),word2=if(like(_raw,"%pq%"),"pq"," "),word=coalesce(word1,word2)
| stats count by word

If it doesn't run put a char (e.g."-") in the eval if)
and then shot them in a pie.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

zacksoft
Contributor

Thanks Giuseppe. The solution you provided works like a charm.

0 Karma

zacksoft
Contributor

@cusello
Hi Giuseppe- Thank you . this works.
However, If I am to search two words instead of just ab, how would I tweak the string.
Example : I want (ab AND null1) to be counted and (pq AND null2) to be counted.
Is the following line correct (syntax wise) ?

| eval word=case(like(_raw,"%ab%") AND like(_raw,"%null1%),"ab",like(_raw,"%pq%") AND like(_raw,"%null2%),"pq")
| stats count by word

The above gives me Error in 'eval' command: The expression is malformed.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...