Splunk Search

How do I create a chart that only shows columns with greater than 1000 events?

mrb113
Engager

I'm trying to make a stacked column chart showing how users are changing some setting ("powerChanged") by build.

Here's my search which is doing the trick to create a chart showing what the users are changing that setting to.

index = "power" name = "powerChanged" isTest = "False" isOnBattery=False buildSku="Enterprise" (build>=2500 AND build<=5900)  |  eval powerDiff= ABS( oldPower-newPower) 
| where powerDiff>5 AND powerDiff<100 | 
| chart count(newPower) as "Count" over build by newPower span=10 |

However, some of the builds only have 5-10 users whereas our production builds have thousands of users, making it difficult to look for trends. In the chart, how can I discard builds which have fewer than 1000 results?

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

index = "power" name = "powerChanged" isTest = "False" isOnBattery=False buildSku="Enterprise" (build>=2500 AND build<=5900)
|  eval powerDiff= ABS( oldPower-newPower) 
| where powerDiff>5 AND powerDiff<100 
| stats count by build newPower
| evenstats sum(count) AS newPowerCount BY newPower 
| where newPowerCount >=1000
| chart sum(count) as Count over build by newPower span=10

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

index = "power" name = "powerChanged" isTest = "False" isOnBattery=False buildSku="Enterprise" (build>=2500 AND build<=5900)
|  eval powerDiff= ABS( oldPower-newPower) 
| stats count by build newPower
| evenstats sum(count) AS newPowerCount BY newPower 
| where newPowerCount >=1000

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Give this a try

index = "power" name = "powerChanged" isTest = "False" isOnBattery=False buildSku="Enterprise" (build>=2500 AND build<=5900)  |  eval powerDiff= ABS( oldPower-newPower) 
 | stats count by build newPower | where count>=1000
0 Karma

mrb113
Engager

Thanks for helping a newbie out 🙂 This is close, but rather than "where count>1000", I want something like "where sum(count)>=1000" to reflect builds with 1000 users across all values of newPower, rather than builds with 1000 users at each newPower value.
Of course, I can't express it this way - I'll spend some more time thinking...

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In that case you need the answer provided by @woodcock below, which does exactly the same.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...