Splunk Search

How do I convert binary files to human readable format?

prakash007
Builder

I'm getting this error in Splunk:

04-13-2016 11:13:58.607 -0500 WARN  FileClassifierManager - The file '/opt/wasserver/server/server01/log/server.log' is invalid. Reason: binary
04-13-2016 11:13:58.607 -0500 INFO  TailReader - Ignoring file '/opt/wasserver/server/server01/log/server.log' due to: binary

I tried this setting NO_BINARY_CHECK = true, where I can avoid the error above, but I'm looking to convert the binary data to human readable format.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks..!!

0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

The only way to convert a binary file to human-readable format is to understand exactly how the binary file was written. So the easiest way to do this is to figure out which software wrote the file - and then see if there is a similar program that can read the file. Translate the binary file to a new text file, and then use Splunk to monitor the text file.

There is nothing you can do in Splunk to convert the file from binary.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

The only way to convert a binary file to human-readable format is to understand exactly how the binary file was written. So the easiest way to do this is to figure out which software wrote the file - and then see if there is a similar program that can read the file. Translate the binary file to a new text file, and then use Splunk to monitor the text file.

There is nothing you can do in Splunk to convert the file from binary.

0 Karma

prakash007
Builder

Thanks..will try to find a program which reads the file.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...