Splunk Search

How do I connect to a local SQLite database?

wcooper003
Communicator

Hi all,

This has been asked before, but I have yet to find an answer on Splunk Answers that details the actual steps to connect to a local SQLite database (e.g. embedded within a custom app). The responses i've seen either (1) point directly to the Splunk Documentation (Install drivers for other databases) which I find has minimal specifics on actually getting it working; (2) show that it works but without detailing the connection specifics (e.g., how to set up DB Connect connection and/or edit db_connection_types.conf?); or (3) say that it should 'just work' (but how do i set up a DB Connect connection if there isn't a SQLite connection type defined, since you have to pick an existing connection?).

From what I can tell, I need to define a SQLite type in the db_connection_types.conf file in order for it to work no matter what. If so, what is the serviceClass -- do I also need to write a Java class for each custom connection type? Here's what I currently have:

[sqlite]
displayName = SQLite
serviceClass = ???
jdbcUrlFormat = jdbc:sqlite:<database>
jdbcDriverClass = org.sqlite.JDBC

Any specifics on how to get this set up - either defining a connection in DB Connect or setting up the db_connection_types.conf - would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

acharlieh
Influencer

Referencing an answer on a similar question would com.splunk.dbx2.DefaultDBX2JDBC work as a generic serviceClass?

View solution in original post

acharlieh
Influencer

Referencing an answer on a similar question would com.splunk.dbx2.DefaultDBX2JDBC work as a generic serviceClass?

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

this works. here's my db_connection_types.conf

[sqlite]
displayName = SQLite
serviceClass = com.splunk.dbx2.DefaultDBX2JDBC
ui_default_catalog = $database$

and here's my db_connections.conf

[kegbot]
connection_type = sqlite
database = /Users/jcoates/Downloads/kegbot.sqlite
host = localhost
identity = jigglypuff
jdbcUseSSL = 0
0 Karma

wcooper003
Communicator

Thanks for the response.

I copied your properties into apps/splunk_app_db_connect/local/db_connection_types.conf -- here is the file contents:

[local]

[sqlite]
displayName = SQLite
serviceClass = com.splunk.dbx2.DefaultDBX2JDBC
ui_default_catalog = $database$

I then restarted Splunk.

However - when I go to the DB Connect v2 app and click to add a new Connection, I still don't see an option for SQLite in the Database Types - Select Database Type dropdown menu. Am I missing something?

Thanks

0 Karma

mblauw
Path Finder

I currently have got this same issue.. Were you already able to resolve this?

0 Karma

wcooper003
Communicator

I never got it working, I ended up using a KV store within our app instead to keep persistent data that we need.

0 Karma

mblauw
Path Finder

I've just replaced the file in the /default/ directory. My database type is now showing up in the list..

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...