Splunk Search

How do I combine multiple rex commands into a single one?

andrewtrobec
Motivator

Hello,
I am working with some unstructured data so I'm using the rex command to get some fields out of it. I need three fields in total, and I have managed to extract them with three distinct rex commands. I am now trying to merge them into a single one, but I am having trouble doing so. Following is a run anywhere search where I've put the unstructured data into a string that is then used by the rex commands:

| makeresults
| eval string="================================================================
= JOB       : MAXFED33S-LHMX#MDK1997DAILYFTPCONN[(2130 10/31/18),(0AAAAAAAAAAAOBWS)] 
= USER      : DOMAIN\khectic 
= SCRIPT   : c:\scripts\mdk_copy.bat 
= Job Number: 2484514 
=============================================================== 
******************************************************************************************** 
** copying from 
** \temp\mdk_temp.csv 
** to 
** \target\ 
** success ** 
******************************************************************************************** 
= Exit Status           :OK 
==============================================================="
| rex field=string ".+#(?<job>[\w]+)\[." 
| rex field=string ".+SCRIPT[\s\t]*:[\s\t]*(?<script>[\w\d.\\\:\s-]+)" 
| rex field=string ".+Exit\sStatus[\s\t]*:[\s\t]*(?<exit_status>[\w]+)"

Obviously this is not the most efficient way of doing it so I'm trying to use a single rex command, and this is where I'm having trouble. I'm trying to join them using the .+ notation which I think means "any character one or more times until the next field extraction", but no dice. This is what that looks like (doesn't work):

| rex field=string ".+#(?<job>[\w]+)\[.+SCRIPT[\s\t]*:[\s\t]*(?<script>[\w\d.\\\:\s-]+).+Exit\sStatus[\s\t]*:[\s\t]*(?<exit_status>[\w]+)"

Would appreciate a push in the right direction.

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Andrew

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

| rex field=string "JOB[^#]+#(?<job>[^\[]+)([^\r\n]+[\r\n]){2}\s*\=\s*SCRIPT[^:]+:\s*(?<script>[^\r\n]+)([^\r\n]+[\r\n])+\s*\=\s*Exit\s*Status[^:]+:\s*(?<exit_status>[\w]+)"

https://regex101.com/r/8rgSp8/1

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

| rex field=string "JOB[^#]+#(?<job>[^\[]+)([^\r\n]+[\r\n]){2}\s*\=\s*SCRIPT[^:]+:\s*(?<script>[^\r\n]+)([^\r\n]+[\r\n])+\s*\=\s*Exit\s*Status[^:]+:\s*(?<exit_status>[\w]+)"

https://regex101.com/r/8rgSp8/1

andrewtrobec
Motivator

This is exactly what I needed to do, thank you|

0 Karma

sudosplunk
Motivator

Give this regex a try,

| makeresults
 | eval string="================================================================
 = JOB       : MAXFED33S-LHMX#MDK1997DAILYFTPCONN[(2130 10/31/18),(0AAAAAAAAAAAOBWS)] 
 = USER      : DOMAIN\khectic 
 = SCRIPT   : c:\scripts\mdk_copy.bat 
 = Job Number: 2484514 
 ** copying from 
 ** \temp\mdk_temp.csv 
 ** to 
 ** \target\ 
 ** success ** 
 = Exit Status           :OK 
 ==============================================================="
 | rex field=string "JOB.+#(?<job>\w+)\["
 | rex field=string "SCRIPT\s+:\s(?<script>[^\s]+)"
 | rex field=string "Exit\sStatus\s+:(?<exit_status>\w+)"
0 Karma

andrewtrobec
Motivator

@sudosplunk Yes, this works as well, thank you, but is there a way to combine all three into a single rex?

0 Karma

sudosplunk
Motivator

Yes, if you're certain that the data is in this pattern/format all the time, then use the 1st regex which takes 137 steps to find the match.

If you're not sure about that then use 2nd regex which takes 688 steps to find the match.

Regex1:

https://regex101.com/r/cEF2wR/1

| rex field=string "JOB[\s\w-:]+#(?<job>\w+)\[.+[\s\w=]+\:\s?(?<user>[^\s]+)[\s\w=]+\:\s?(?<script>[^\s]+)[\s\w=]+\:\s?(?<job_number>[^\s]+)[\s\S]+Exit\sStatus\s+\:(?<exit_status>\w+)"

Regex2:

https://regex101.com/r/AX9pfC/1

| rex field=string "JOB[\s\w-:]+#(?<job>\w+)\[[\s\w\W]+SCRIPT\s+\:\s?(?<script>[^\s]+)[\s\S]*Exit\sStatus\s+:(?<exit_status>\w+)"
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...