Splunk Search

How do I change the color of a table when I modify the value of a text type filter?

HectorPena

I have a table with 2 filters:
1. Dropdown that selects the column
2. Text box (numeric)

The functionality I want is to color the selected column (dropdown) according to the value of the text box that will be numeric. This value will be an objective, if the value of the column does not exceed it, it will be red, if it exceeds it it will be green.

A saluted

alt text

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@HectorPena, Please try the following run anywhere example PS: I have used reverse color for Threshold as per your use case. You can use following option instead with reverse colors #DC4E41 for Red and #53A051 for Green:

<format type="color" field="Attendees">
       <colorPalette type="expression">if (value< $tokThreshold$,"#DC4E41","#53A051")</colorPalette>
     </format>

alt text

Following is the solution approach used is:

Step 1) Create a Text Box to pass the dynamic Threshold value. In the example it is tokThreshold.
Step 2) Add the dummy dependency of token to the Search populating the Table so that it re-renders every time token changes. In the example I have added | fields - $tokThreshold$ which will try to remove a field/column with Name same as Threshold Value from the table (which does not perform any action on the table as the field does not exist). Ideally you should use comment macro for adding dummy dependency i.e. comment("This Search runs each time $tokThreshold$ changes."). Refer to one of my older answers for details about comment macro.
Step 3) Use Table Cell Color method using colorPalette with expressions (available in Splunk 6.5 and higher). Use tokThreshold token in the eval if expression to apply respective color.

Please try out and confirm!

Following is the run anywhere Simple XML Dashboard code:

<form>
  <label>Color Table based on Threshold Input Value</label>
  <fieldset submitButton="false"></fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <title>Table With Dynamic Threshold via Text Box</title>
      <input type="text" token="tokThreshold" searchWhenChanged="true">
        <label>Select Threshold</label>
        <default>300</default>
      </input>
      <table>
        <search>
          <query>| gentimes start=-7 increment=1d
| eval _time=starttime
| fields _time
| eval Attendees=random()
| eval Attendees=substr(Attendees,0,3)
| fields - $tokThreshold$</query>
          <earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
          <sampleRatio>1</sampleRatio>
        </search>
        <option name="count">20</option>
        <option name="dataOverlayMode">none</option>
        <option name="drilldown">none</option>
        <option name="percentagesRow">false</option>
        <option name="refresh.display">progressbar</option>
        <option name="rowNumbers">false</option>
        <option name="totalsRow">false</option>
        <option name="wrap">true</option>
          <colorPalette type="expression">if (value< $tokThreshold$, "#53A051", "#DC4E41")</colorPalette>
        </format>
      </table>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>

View solution in original post

0 Karma

HectorPena

Thank you,

It is what I was doing but I did not update the table correctly since I did not add the token to the search "| fields - $ tok $". the older I add the filter token 1 as a field, the token is named after it

Greetings and thanks for the inconvenience, and ame works correctly.alt text

0 Karma

HectorPena

Thank you,

It is what I was doing but I did not update the table correctly since I did not add the token to the search "| fields - $ tok $". the older I add the filter token 1 as a field, the token is named after it

Greetings and thanks for the inconvenience, and ame works correctly.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@HectorPena, Please try the following run anywhere example PS: I have used reverse color for Threshold as per your use case. You can use following option instead with reverse colors #DC4E41 for Red and #53A051 for Green:

<colorPalette type="expression">if (value< $tokThreshold$,"#DC4E41","#53A051")</colorPalette>
     </format>

alt text

Following is the solution approach used is:

Step 1) Create a Text Box to pass the dynamic Threshold value. In the example it is tokThreshold.
Step 2) Add the dummy dependency of token to the Search populating the Table so that it re-renders every time token changes. In the example I have added | fields - $tokThreshold$ which will try to remove a field/column with Name same as Threshold Value from the table (which does not perform any action on the table as the field does not exist). Ideally you should use comment macro for adding dummy dependency i.e. comment("This Search runs each time $tokThreshold$ changes."). Refer to one of my older answers for details about comment macro.
Step 3) Use Table Cell Color method using colorPalette with expressions (available in Splunk 6.5 and higher). Use tokThreshold token in the eval if expression to apply respective color.

Please try out and confirm!

Following is the run anywhere Simple XML Dashboard code:

<form>
  <label>Color Table based on Threshold Input Value</label>
  <fieldset submitButton="false"></fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <title>Table With Dynamic Threshold via Text Box</title>
      <input type="text" token="tokThreshold" searchWhenChanged="true">
        <label>Select Threshold</label>
        <default>300</default>
      </input>
      <table>
        <search>
          <query>| gentimes start=-7 increment=1d
| eval _time=starttime
| fields _time
| eval Attendees=random()
| eval Attendees=substr(Attendees,0,3)
| fields - $tokThreshold$</query>
          <earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
          <sampleRatio>1</sampleRatio>
        </search>
        <option name="count">20</option>
        <option name="dataOverlayMode">none</option>
        <option name="drilldown">none</option>
        <option name="percentagesRow">false</option>
        <option name="refresh.display">progressbar</option>
        <option name="rowNumbers">false</option>
        <option name="totalsRow">false</option>
        <option name="wrap">true</option>
          <colorPalette type="expression">if (value< $tokThreshold$, "#53A051", "#DC4E41")</colorPalette>
        </format>
      </table>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>

niketn
Legend

PS: Use &lt; in Simple XML Dashboard code for expression, instead of < which gets escaped on Splunk Answers. https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-guide/xml-escaped-chars.html

androchentw
Engager

@niketnilay thank you in advance for the code example.
But I think there is something wrong here: the color will NOT reload as the $tokThreshold$ changes. Based on my test on 7.0.2, I think the color could only be set once. I must reload the whole web page to make the color change. Can you verify that?

And, is there any xml settings I can force re-paint the color of the panel when $tokThreshold$ changes?

Also, in your screenshot, when the "Select Threshold" is 300, Attendees ("262", 247) should also be "#53A051"(green), not red.

I'm using both your example and a rather small set to test:

| makeresults count=10
| streamstats count as id
| fields - $tokThreshold$

0 Karma

HectorPena

Thank you,

<format type="color" field="$fKPI_Obj$">
           <colorPalette type="expression">if(value &lt; $fObjetivo$, "#53A051","#DC4E41")
           </colorPalette>
         </format>

Greetings and thanks for the inconvenience, and ame works correctly.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...