Splunk Search

How do I calculate the date difference for two timestamps other than _time and exclude weekends?

splunk_hvijay
Explorer

Hello,
I have two timestamps , both are NOT _time.

1. Received Date - 09/10/16
  2. Processed Date - 09/14/16

I need to calculate the age of these two, but need to exclude weekends. I need something like below

base search | eval age = (Processed Date - Received date). | table age

In the above example the result should be 2, so that weekend is excluded..
It should not be 4.

I think date_wday excludes days from _time only. But for me the timestamp for calculating the age is not _time.

Please advise on how to exclude the weekends. Also, please advise on how to exclude public holidays as well. Thanks so much in advance.

1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try something like this (run anywhere sample, replace first line with your current search.

| gentimes start=-1 | eval Processdate="9/14/2016" | table Processdate| eval Receivedate="9/10/2016" 
| eval dates=mvrange(strptime(Receivedate,"%m/%d/%Y"),strptime(Processdate,"%m/%d/%Y"),86400) | convert ctime(dates)  timeformat="%A" | eval dates=mvfilter(NOT match(dates,"(Saturday|Sunday)")) | eval noOfDays=mvcount(dates)

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try something like this (run anywhere sample, replace first line with your current search.

| gentimes start=-1 | eval Processdate="9/14/2016" | table Processdate| eval Receivedate="9/10/2016" 
| eval dates=mvrange(strptime(Receivedate,"%m/%d/%Y"),strptime(Processdate,"%m/%d/%Y"),86400) | convert ctime(dates)  timeformat="%A" | eval dates=mvfilter(NOT match(dates,"(Saturday|Sunday)")) | eval noOfDays=mvcount(dates)

splunk_hvijay
Explorer

Thanks so much. excellent.. this worked for me.. BTW, i didnt use gentimes start=-1, is it mandatory?

And how to exclude public holidays...thanks again for your help

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

This line is to generate a sample data to show the remaining processing steps. The whole thing should be replaced by your search which get the required data.

There is no in-build way to identify public holidays in Splunk, you would need to create some custom lookup with dates which are publich holidays and exclude them (not straightforward way. Don't have a ready to use solution, will need to figure that one out).

0 Karma

hartfoml
Motivator

@somesoni2 you're solution is fascinating. I don't use the mvrange or mvcount much. Can you explain what is happening in the eval | eval dates=mvrange(strptime(Receivedate,"%m/%d/%Y"),strptime(Processdate,"%m/%d/%Y"),86400) please

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

It's basically creating a multivalued field dates with arithmetic series starting with epoch value of Receivedate, ending at epoch value of Processdata, with step of 86400 (1 day in secs). I think it would be clearer if you can run this query

| gentimes start=-1 | eval Processdate="9/14/2016" | table Processdate| eval Receivedate="9/10/2016" | eval dates_epoch=mvrange(strptime(Receivedate,"%m/%d/%Y"),strptime(Processdate,"%m/%d/%Y"),86400) 
| convert ctime(dates_epoch) as dates_human
0 Karma

RRajneesh

@somesoni2 : Do you have the solution to identify holidays yet ?
Thanks.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I think so. As I mentioned before, for excluding public holidays, you'd need to setup a lookup table with list of holidays. You can find one here: https://gist.github.com/shivaas/4758439

Once you've your lookup table setup, say holidays.csv with column date (holiday date in format %Y-%m-%d,name (don't really care for this column), your query would be like this (using a sample data):

| gentimes start=-1 | eval Processdate="06/01/2018" | table Processdate| eval Receivedate="05/01/2018"  
   | eval dates=mvrange(strptime(Receivedate,"%m/%d/%Y"),strptime(Processdate,"%m/%d/%Y"),86400) | convert ctime(dates) timeformat="%A %Y-%m-%d" | eval workdays=mvfilter(NOT match(dates,[| inputlookup holidays.csv | stats values(date) as date| eval date=mvappend("(Saturday",date,"Sunday)")| eval search=mvjoin(date,"|") | table search | format "" "" "" "" "" ""])) | eval noOfDays=mvcount(dates)
0 Karma

RRajneesh

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Getting the below error :

Error in 'eval' command: The expression is malformed. An unexpected character is reached at ') ))'.

Also, the last part, shouldn't it be mvcount(workdays) instead of mvcount(dates) ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...