Splunk Search

How do I aggregate individual searches into a single search?

jasperlee27

Hi.

My organization is looking at identifying individual users (UserID) who have failed authentication(logon) >5 times per day for >3 consecutive days straight.

I am able to get the individual days failed logins for a particular user, but how do I aggregate them in one search to create an alert?

I am currently using this search for a particular day.

index="myindex" | lookup agentlookup agent_ID as Agent | search Application=*  Reponse= Reject |stats count by UserID | where count > 5

How do I extrapolate it to find 3 consecutive days straight?

I have also tried to use

index="myindex"| lookup agentlookup agent_ID as Agent | search Application=* Response= Reject | stats count by UserID | where count > 3 | span=1d count by UserID 

to no avail. Have tried reading the documentation, but do not get it.
Thanks in advance for the help!

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Give this a try. Remove lookup (field agent was not used) and move search filters in base search. This will list all the UserID for the day where there where more than 5 login failures.

index="myindex" Application=* Response=Reject | bucket _time span=1d 
| stats count by UserID _time | eval flag=if(count>5,1,0) 
| streamstats window=3 sum(flag) as flag by UserID | where flag=3

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Give this a try. Remove lookup (field agent was not used) and move search filters in base search. This will list all the UserID for the day where there where more than 5 login failures.

index="myindex" Application=* Response=Reject | bucket _time span=1d 
| stats count by UserID _time | eval flag=if(count>5,1,0) 
| streamstats window=3 sum(flag) as flag by UserID | where flag=3
0 Karma

jasperlee27

Thank you. This worked perfectly! Also, is it possible to display more fields beside the data? (e.g Department, Head-of-Department involved).

The fields are already defined, but In which part do I insert the fields into the search?

Thanks in advance

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion
index="myindex" | lookup agentlookup agent_ID as Agent | search Application=* Reponse= Reject|bucket _time span=1d |stats count by UserID _time|where count>5|bucket _time span=3d|stats count as aggCount by UserID _time|where aggCount>3

try something like this.

0 Karma

jasperlee27

Thank you! This works but it does not capture repeated occurences

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...