Splunk Search

How do I access nested JSON?

tolikuznets
Engager

I have message that contains nested JSON inside which contains a message field that contains a Java exception

{xxxx: "some-fields-here",
"timestamp":"1533748762718","threadId":"42",,"message":"Background operation retry gave up
org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException$SessionExpiredException: KeeperErrorCode = Session expired
    at org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException.create(KeeperException.java:127)
    at org.apache.curator.framework.imps.CuratorFrameworkImpl.checkBackgroundRetry(CuratorFrameworkImpl.java:728)
    at org.apache.curator.framework.imps.CuratorFrameworkImpl.processBackgroundOperation(CuratorFrameworkImpl.java:516)
    at org.apache.curator.framework.imps.GetChildrenBuilderImpl$2.processResult(GetChildrenBuilderImpl.java:166)
    at org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$EventThread.processEvent(ClientCnxn.java:615)
    at org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$EventThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:519)"} 

more-json-fields
}

How do I access the nested message field? tried different variations of using spath but was never able to get the nested message, only the top-level message.
Ideally, I'd want to replace \n with ; so that it wouldn't mess up my output downstream.

niketn
Legend

@tolikuznets , try the following command

<yourCurrentSearch>
| rex "\"message\":\"(?<message>[^\"]+)"

Following is a run anywhere search based on your sample data:

| makeresults
| eval _raw="{xxxx: \"some-fields-here\", message: {\"logRecordType\":\"X\", \"timestamp\":\"1533748762718\",\"threadId\":\"42\",,\"message\":\"Background operation retry gave up org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException$SessionExpiredException: KeeperErrorCode = Session expired at org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException.create(KeeperException.java:127) at org.apache.curator.framework.imps.CuratorFrameworkImpl.checkBackgroundRetry(CuratorFrameworkImpl.java:728) at org.apache.curator.framework.imps.CuratorFrameworkImpl.processBackgroundOperation(CuratorFrameworkImpl.java:516) at org.apache.curator.framework.imps.GetChildrenBuilderImpl$2.processResult(GetChildrenBuilderImpl.java:166) at org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$EventThread.processEvent(ClientCnxn.java:615) at org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$EventThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:519)\"} }"
| rex "\"message\":\"(?<message>[^\"]+)"

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...