Splunk Search

How come my rex command doesn't give results as expected?

ananth402
Explorer

I have the following log statement and I would like to retrieve the mac address which is a 12 digit string from it.

msgType=notifications notification={"device":"mac:Ab12Cd34nm67","cam":"{\"mac\":\"Ab:12:Cd:34:nm:67\",\"Number\":\"AAAAAAAAA\",.....}"}

I tried with

host=host* source="source.log" "msgType=notifications*" | rex "(?<mac:.{12})>"

I'm looking for the string mac:Ab12Cd34nm67. How can change the regex to obtain the expected string?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try like this updated

host=host* source="source.log" "msgType=notifications*" | rex "mac\:(?<mac>.{12})"
0 Karma

ananth402
Explorer

There seems to be an issue with the regex statement because it shows Premature end of data in tag form line 1 when I try to use it

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Yeah.. missed removing a >. Try the updated answer.

0 Karma

ananth402
Explorer

tried using host=host* source="source.log" "msgType=notifications*" | rex "mac:(?<mac_number>)" | stats count by mac_number doesn't give me any results

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...