Splunk Search

How come URLs in my lookup table are not working?

VanyBerg
Engager

Greetings everyone!

I have a question concerning a CSV lookup table with domains in it, which sadly does not work.

To be more precise:

I got a lookup table I created with the Lookup editor with the following example entry and a single column called URL:

.trendmicro.com

A simple | inputlookup file.csv will display that value correctly. If I try to use this list in a search though, it just ignores it.

Here is my example search:

index=dns NOT 
  [ | inputlookup file.csv
    | fields url ]

Is there any restriction in how an entry must be formatted to be accepted? *.trendmicro.com or trendmicro.com won't work either.

I just don't get what I am doing wrong since the contents of the file can be displayed.

Thanks alot! Help is much appreciated.

Best regards,

VB

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Personally I would reformat the CSV like this:

domain, ignore
*trendmicro.com,true

In the lookup configuration, create a lookup definition and ensure wildcard matching is enabled (its not by default!)

then you can do:

"whatever your search providing a field called domain"|lookup ignored_domains domain OUTPUT ignore|where ignore!="true"
If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...