Splunk Search

How can you add help to a custom search command?

Marinus
Communicator

How can you add help to a custom search command?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

bwooden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To create a search-assistant or type-ahead...

I sneak a look at the searchbnf.conf.spec.

Then I create (or append) $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/searchbnf.conf (often leveraging the searchbnf.conf.example as a guide).

View solution in original post

bwooden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To create a search-assistant or type-ahead...

I sneak a look at the searchbnf.conf.spec.

Then I create (or append) $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/searchbnf.conf (often leveraging the searchbnf.conf.example as a guide).

carasso
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If your custom search command is in an app, you should also put the searchbnf.conf in the app as well.

0 Karma

aovsiannikov
Explorer

Is it possible to auto generate searchbnf.conf from command class docstring? Are there any util for this?

0 Karma

Marinus
Communicator

When you enter a command in the search interface it gives you online help for the command, including examples. I'd like to do the same for a custom command.

0 Karma

hbazan
Path Finder

What do you mean by "help", do you want to explain what's in the results? we've used a csv input table for something like that, and then a join, so each file has a new column with the appropriate explanation of each value.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...