Splunk Search

How can one represent different values for a single extracted field?

cb046891

This issue comes from the error logs of a login service. When a user scans their badge and attempts to log in with an invalid alias the resulting service exception will contain the following example text: "Unable to lookup personnel with barcode: 554067 and orgId: 1217864."

I've created a report to extract these events, it's a simple search containing "| rex field=_raw "barcode: (?< Alias>.) and orgId: (?< OrgID>.).""

This will generate the fields "Alias" and "OrgID." Valid aliases should be a 6 digit number. However, due to users scanning the wrong barcode, we see values of Alias like AC000000000000, NE000000 or sometimes a 6 letter alpha string. Is there any way for me to represent the count/percentage of invalid values of Alias? Ideally I'd want to create a graphical representation of this with a Pie Chart.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps this will get you started.

... | | rex "barcode: (?<Alias>\S+) and orgId: (?<OrgID>[^\.]+)"
| eval is_valid = if(len(Alias) == 6 AND isnum(Alias), 1, 0)
| stats count(eval(is_valid==1)) as Valid, count(eval(is_valid==0)) as Invalid
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps this will get you started.

... | | rex "barcode: (?<Alias>\S+) and orgId: (?<OrgID>[^\.]+)"
| eval is_valid = if(len(Alias) == 6 AND isnum(Alias), 1, 0)
| stats count(eval(is_valid==1)) as Valid, count(eval(is_valid==0)) as Invalid
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

cb046891

Sorry I'm late getting back to you! This did send me in the right direction! I ended up using Eval with a case to classify the aliases that I was seeing:

| eval AliasType = case(
    match(Alias, "AC*") AND len(Alias) >= 10,"Class1",
    len(Alias) == 6 AND isnum(Alias), "Class2",
    match(Alias, "NE*"), "Class3",
    len(Alias) == 12 AND isnum(Alias), "Class4,
    !isnum(Alias) OR len(Alias) != 12 OR len(Alias) != 6, "Class5"
    )
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...