Splunk Search

How can I get the last index of my target value for a multi-value field ?

Jackiifilwhh
Path Finder

I want to get the last index of my target value for a multi-value field. For example, 

idchain

SendMessage

CheckMessage

PayForIt

CheckMessage

SendMessage

CheckMessage

PayForIt

PayForIt

SendMessage

CheckMessage

PayForIt

SendMessage

PayForIt

CheckMessage

If "PayForIt" appears, meanwhile  "SendMessage" and "CheckMessage" appears before it, this is a normal event. But if "SendMessage" or "CheckMessage" don't appear, or after "PayForIt", it is a abnormal event. It means you must send message and be verified by SMS before you pay for something!

The id 1, 2 and 3 above are normal, 4 is abnormal. 

I've tried mvfind like below, but it will treat 2, 3 as abnormal event!

eval send=mvfind(chain,"SendMessage")
| eval check=mvfind(chain,"CheckMessage")
| eval pay=mvfind(chain,"PayForIt")
| where isnotnull(pay) and isnotnull(check) and isnotnull(send) and pay>check and check>send
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This restated question is much clearer about your intentions and logic.  What you need is to iterate "SendMessage" over "CheckMessage" using foreach to compare with the index of "PayForIt".  Like this:

| foreach SendMessage CheckMessage
    [ eval abnormal = if(mvfind(chain, "<<FIELD>>") > mvfind(chain, "PayForIt") OR NOT in(chain, "<<FIELD>>") OR abnormal == "yes", "yes", "no") ]

followed by a where command.

This is an emulation that you can play with and compare with your real data.

| makeresults
| eval _raw ="id	chain
1	SendMessage,CheckMessage,PayForIt
2	CheckMessage,SendMessage,CheckMessage,PayForIt
3	PayForIt,SendMessage,CheckMessage,PayForIt
4	SendMessage,PayForIt,CheckMessage
5	SendMessage,PayForIt"
| multikv forceheader=1
| eval chain = split(chain, ",")
| table id chain
``` data emulation above ```

id
chain
abnormal
SendMessage
CheckMessage
PayForIt
no
CheckMessage
SendMessage
CheckMessage
PayForIt
no
PayForIt
SendMessage
CheckMessage
PayForIt
yes
SendMessage
PayForIt
CheckMessage
yes
SendMessage
PayForIt
yes
Tags (1)
0 Karma

Jackiifilwhh
Path Finder

Thanks a lot! Actually, a customer could pay for some thing for many times, so the field "chain" in Splunk will consist of several "PayForIt". I need to check the every part of it, which split by "PayForIt". I also need to get the last index of "SendMessage" or "CheckMessage" before every "PayForIt". It seems that "mvfind" won't work properly, because it doesn't get the last but the first index.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That is why you always need to give all critical details about data.  Just as you described, we'll split at "PayForIt" before proceeding further.

| eval chain = mvmap(chain, replace(chain, "PayForIt", "PayForIt:")) ``` add marker for split ```
| eval chain = split(mvjoin(chain, ","), ":") ``` split right after PayForIt ```
| mvexpand chain ``` each PayForIt in its own event ```
| where isnotnull(chain)
| foreach SendMessage CheckMessage
    [ eval abnormal = if(mvfind(chain, "<<FIELD>>") > mvfind(chain, "PayForIt") OR NOT in(chain, "<<FIELD>>") OR abnormal == "yes", "yes", "no") ]

You get something like

id
chain
abnormal
SendMessage
CheckMessage
PayForIt
no

SendMessage
CheckMessage
PayForIt
no
CheckMessage
SendMessage
CheckMessage
PayForIt
no
3PayForItyes

SendMessage
CheckMessage
PayForIt
no
SendMessage
PayForIt
yes

CheckMessage
yes
SendMessage
PayForIt
yes

Emulated data are the following:

id
chain
SendMessage
CheckMessage
PayForIt
SendMessage
CheckMessage
PayForIt
CheckMessage
SendMessage
CheckMessage
PayForIt
PayForIt
SendMessage
CheckMessage
PayForIt
SendMessage
PayForIt
CheckMessage
SendMessage
PayForIt

This is used for the emulation:

| makeresults
| eval _raw ="id	chain
1	SendMessage,CheckMessage,PayForIt,SendMessage,CheckMessage,PayForIt
2	CheckMessage,SendMessage,CheckMessage,PayForIt
3	PayForIt,SendMessage,CheckMessage,PayForIt
4	SendMessage,PayForIt,CheckMessage
5	SendMessage,PayForIt"
| multikv forceheader=1
| table id chain
``` data emulation above ```

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Does something like this help?

| streamstats count as row
| mvexpand chain
| streamstats count by row chain
| stats max(count) as lastindex by row chain
0 Karma

Jackiifilwhh
Path Finder

Thank you! I've modified my question, it seems that I can't expand chain to a single value field!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Why can't you mvexpand chain?

Also, how is chain created in the first place - can you tag the occurrences of each chain type before creating the multivalue field?

0 Karma

Jackiifilwhh
Path Finder

Well, let me describe the generation of field "chain".

A user's access to my system is based on a unique session_ id(same name's field in Splunk). And the whole access can be divided into many transactions, named trans_id in Splunk. So I can use the command below to get a user's path of transactions in time order, which named "chain".

stats count by session_id trans_id _time
| eval lux=_time+"|"+trans_id
| stats values(lux) as chain by session_id
| eval chain=mvmap(chain,mvindex(split(chain,"|"),1))

Above is the process of generating field "chain". In a word, I want to find the abnormal event, which means that the order is incorrect or the value is incomplete. Just like a customer must be verified by SMS before pay something.

Thanks a lot!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your generation of chain is essentially deduping _time|trans_id and putting them in time order in a multivalue field.

You could try something like this

| dedup _time trans_id session_id
| sort 0 _time
| streamstats count as sequence_number global=f by session_id
| eval SendMessageSequence = if(trans_id=="SendMessage", sequence_number, null())
| eval CheckMessageSequence = if(trans_id=="CheckMessage", sequence_number, null())
| eval PayForItSequence = if(trans_id=="PayForIt", sequence_number, null())
| stats max(CheckMessageSequence) as lastCheckMessage max(SendMessageSequence) as lastSendMessage min(PayForItSequence) as firstPayForIt by session_id
| eval good=if(firstPayForIt > lastSendMessage AND firstPayForIt > lastCheckMessage, "OK", "NOK")
0 Karma

Jackiifilwhh
Path Finder

Thanks a lot! I've tried this command, it works well! But when a customer pay for something several times, the filed "chain" in Splunk will contain several "PayForIt". It seems that I split "chain" into several parts by "PayForIt" and check the value in every part, which would work! If it is a Java program, I will iterate the multifield or a string to check every part, but how can I make it in Splunk?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming you want to check for every PayForIt there is a Send and Check, try something like this

| dedup _time trans_id session_id
| sort 0 -_time
| streamstats count(eval(trans_id=="PayForIt")) as payments global=f by session_id
| sort 0 session_id _time
| streamstats count as sequence_number global=f by session_id payments
| eval SendMessageSequence = if(trans_id=="SendMessage", sequence_number, null())
| eval CheckMessageSequence = if(trans_id=="CheckMessage", sequence_number, null())
| eval PayForItSequence = if(trans_id=="PayForIt", sequence_number, null())
| stats max(CheckMessageSequence) as lastCheckMessage max(SendMessageSequence) as lastSendMessage min(PayForItSequence) as firstPayForIt by session_id payments
| eval good=if(firstPayForIt > lastSendMessage AND firstPayForIt > lastCheckMessage, "OK", "NOK")
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you looking for mvexpand instead?

| mvexpand chain
| where chain == "coffee"
| stats latest(index)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

Jackiifilwhh
Path Finder
Thank you! I've modified my question, it seems that I can't expand chain to a single value field!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...