Splunk Search

How can I format my search to convert month/day column values into column headers?

ShaneNewman
Motivator

I don't know how to word this request very effectivly so I will just show some examples... If anyone knows a better way to word the title of this post, please do.

I have my search setup to return the fields and values I want (see below).
Before Transpose

I need the Month field to be column headers so transpose seems to be the best option for this... Except for 1 little wrinkle. It looks like this:

column               row 1           row 2
Month               08 Aug 2014      09 Sep 2014
New               53            228658
Reconnect           0                59913
Ratio              0                3.816501
Total Sessions     53              288571

This is close, I am looking to have this though:
alt text

How do I make this happen?

Here is the actual search:

earliest=-1mon@mon latest=@mon `xd_index` sourcetype=xendesktop:*:session SiteName="*" SiteName!=*ST UserName!="" StartTime!="" BrokeringTime!="" | stats latest(EstablishmentDuration) as EstablishmentDuration, latest(BrokeringDuration) as BrokeringDuration by BrokeringTime, SessionKey, SiteName | eventstats min(BrokeringTime) as min_BrokeringTime by SessionKey | eval connection_type=if(BrokeringTime=min_BrokeringTime, "New", "Reconnect") | eval timestamp=strptime(min_BrokeringTime, "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S") | eval Month=strftime(timestamp, "%m %b %Y") | chart count by Month, connection_type | eval Ratio=New/Reconnect | eval "Total Sessions"=New+Reconnect | transpose 12
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Instead of using yucky transpose, append this to your search:

...  | untable Month Metric value | xyseries Metric Month value

Note how the two fields are swapped in the second command.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Instead of using yucky transpose, append this to your search:

...  | untable Month Metric value | xyseries Metric Month value

Note how the two fields are swapped in the second command.

ShaneNewman
Motivator

Perfect!!!!! Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...