Splunk Search

How can I calculate data in sub groups?

juliaester03

Hello all,

I have a question regarding a calculation for the stock.

My table has three coloums: ISIN, price and timestamp. Every event gives a new price for an arbitrary ISIN. The task is to find out which ISIN has a price change over a given threshold (e.g. 5%) in the last two events for this ISIN.

I want to build an alert if the price change of an ISIN exceeds the threshold in two sequenced events which belong to each ISIN.

I have tried the following command:

sourcetype="stock_data.csv" | top 2 _time by ISIN | stats count by ISIN

But I have no idea how to calculate the two newest prices for one ISIN and to compare it with a given threshold.

Many thanks in advance!

0 Karma

evania
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @juliaester03 ,

Did you have a chance to check out some answers? If it worked, please resolve this post by approving it! If your problem is still not solved, keep us updated so that someone else can help you.

Thanks for posting!

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

@juliaester03 Try something similar -

sourcetype="stock_data.csv" | sort 0 - _time|streamstats count as id by ISIN | where id <=2 | eval diff=( price - threshold )/threshold * 100| where diff > 5
0 Karma

juliaester03

Dear @Vijeta ,

many thanks for answering me so fast!!

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@juliaester03 "last two events for ISIN" and "top two events for ISIN" may imply different things. I am assuming it is the first that you need.

Using | dedup 2 ISIN you can retain latest two events for each ISIN. Using streamstats with window=1 current=f, on applying last() aggregation gives us the previous value of ISIN which can be used for calculating the percent change.

sourcetype="stock_data.csv"
| fields _time ISIN price
| dedup 2 ISIN
| reverse
| streamstats last(price) as lastPrice by ISIN window=1 current=f
| eval perc=round(((price-lastPrice)/price)*100,2)
| search perc>5

Following is a run anywhere example based on the detailed provided in the question

| makeresults
| eval data="time=\"2019/06/05 01:00:00\",ISIN=\"A\",price=50;time=\"2019/06/05 02:00:00\",ISIN=\"A\",price=60;time=\"2019/06/05 03:00:00\",ISIN=\"A\",price=100;time=\"2019/06/05 01:00:00\",ISIN=\"B\",price=50;time=\"2019/06/05 02:00:00\",ISIN=\"B\",price=51"
| makemv data delim=";"
| mvexpand data
| rename data as _raw
| KV
| eval _time=strptime(time,"%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S")
| sort - _time
| fields _time ISIN price
| dedup 2 ISIN
| reverse
| streamstats last(price) as lastPrice by ISIN window=1 current=f
| eval perc=round(((price-lastPrice)/price)*100,2)
| search perc>5

juliaester03

Dear @niketnilay ,

many thanks for your fast and very detailed answer!!! The first try worked out really well. I will do some testing now. Maybe I come back to you with some more questions. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...