Splunk Search

How can I break events within events?

Sujithkumarkb
Observer

I have middleware .out file to be monitored with Splunk.
The events are breaking with respect to the time stamps as below

1/16/20
12:27:17.553 PM
Jan 16, 2020 1:57:17,553 AM EST Warning Socket BEA-000449bClosing the socket, as no data read from it on ,322 during the configured idle timeout of 5 seconds.

1/16/20
12:24:17.274 PM
Jan 16, 2020 1:54:17,274 AM EST Error oracle.soa.management.internal.ejb.impl.FacadeFinderBeanImp BEA-000000 No Facade Fault Recovery Service found for Engine type : service

But i have an event in this log file which is breaking based on time stamp but single event isgoing beyond 800 1000lines . sample event below

Jan 16, 2020 1:54:05,062 AM EST Error oracle.soa.bpel.engine.dispatch BEA-00000 Transaction rolledback, Transaction key = Name=[EJB
** Cikey: 100174
** ComponentDN: default/CommsProcessFulfillmentOrderBillingAccountListEBF!1.0*soa_50970aa3-f91e-430a-83db-70b3c1beafd9/CommsProcessFulfillmentOrderBillingAccountListEBF
** FlowId: 100048

** Set of Audit Events in currently rolledback transaction:

** Scope Id: 0
** Audit Event Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 01:54:04.300 EST
** Audit Message: New instance of BPEL process "1.0" initiated (# "CommsProcessFulfillmentOrderBillingAccountListEBF").

** Audit Detail: null

** Scope Id: BpSeq13.3
** Audit Event Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 01:54:04.301 EST
** Audit Message: Received "initiate" call from partner "client"
** Audit Detail:
CommsProcessFulfillmentOrderBillingAccountListReqMsg part name="ProcessFulfillmentOrderBillingAccountListEBM" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"bProcessFulfillmentOrderBillingAccountListEBM
** Audit Event Attributes:
** wikey: 100174-BpRcv0-BpSeq13.3-1
** label: receiveInput

** state: 5

** Scope Id: BpSeq13.3
** Audit Event Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 01:54:04.302 EST
** Audit Message: bpelx:exec executed
** Audit Detail: null
** Audit Event Attributes:
** wikey: 100174-BxExe0-BpSeq13.3-2
** label: Set_Title
** state: 5

This event is more than 1000lines with lot of scope ID paragraph and I get a Show all 800lines message , and when I expand the Splunk goes into hung state.
Though i can use Truncate and max_events value in props , how can i handle or break one big event with more than 800 lines based on the ScopeID and also keep other events breaking based on timestamp as well .

Labels (1)
0 Karma

lernauti

Wow, thanks for this thread. I didn't even think about splitting events within events. I'm still trying to figure out the Splunk search language, and I don't always get what I want the first time. I hope I won't bother anyone with my comment if I use it to "bookmark" the topic 🙂

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In props.conf

[your_sourcetype]
LINE_BREAKER = ^()\w{3}\s\d\d|Scope Id

0 Karma

vsai0718
Path Finder

Try creating a field extraction on the UI with regex.

0 Karma

lernauti

Wow, thanks for this thread. I didn't even think about splitting events within events. I'm still trying to figure out the Splunk search language, and I don't always get what I want the first time. I hope I won't bother anyone with my comment if I use it to "bookmark" the topic 🙂 I prefer to appear in all thematic forums and ask thousands of stupid questions to everyone. This is how I prevent possible errors, and it's better than carrying the hard drive to the file recovery procedure later due to a series of wrong actions.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...