Splunk Search

How can I append different fields from a subsearch?

russell120
Communicator

Hello,

I'm trying to search within another sourcetype and append fields oxygen, and rock to a CSV base search. I'm attempting to match them by id with this search:

|inputlookup environmentSample.csv |append [search sourcetype="environmentData" |fields oxygen rock id]
|table nitrogen bacteria id oxygen rock

environmentSample.csv:

nitrogen     bacteria    id
   5      c. perfringens 111
   7      B. cereus      222

sourcetype=environmentData:

oxygen    rock    id
  3      pyrite   111
 2.6    basalt    222

What query do I need to see this result -- where the results appear in the SAME ROW based on id?:

nitrogen     bacteria    id    oxygen    rock  
   5      c. perfringens 111     3      pyrite   
   7      B. cereus      222    2.6     basalt   
0 Karma

cvssravan
Path Finder

Try this:

|inputlookup environmentSample.csv |join id [search sourcetype="environmentData" |fields oxygen rock id]

0 Karma

russell120
Communicator

I prefer to stay away from |join since it's an expensive command. In my real query so I have 3 subsearches; using |join would require me to use 3 |join commands, which would take a long time.

0 Karma

cvssravan
Path Finder

If you want the output in your requested format, I think you should use join to link the data. Will watch for any alternative answers.

0 Karma

vnravikumar
Champion

Hi @russell120

Try

your query...| selfjoin  id
0 Karma

vnravikumar
Champion

Try with

|inputlookup environmentSample.csv |append [search sourcetype="environmentData" |fields oxygen rock id] |selfjoin id |table nitrogen bacteria id oxygen rock
0 Karma

russell120
Communicator

This didn't work unfortunately. I think it may be because id in my sourcetype data has the id number as a multivalue for some reason, where it looks like:

id

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@russell120
Can you please try this?

|inputlookup environmentSample.csv |append [search sourcetype="environmentData" |fields oxygen rock id] |stats  values(nitrogen) as nitrogen values(bacteria) as bacteria values(oxygen) as oxygen values(rock) as rock by id 
0 Karma

russell120
Communicator

Would by id work if the CSV had

id

and the sourcetype=environmentData had the below as multivalues?

id

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...