Splunk Search

How can I add where statement but only if something matches

splunker1981
Path Finder

Hello experts,

I have a search that I am trying to add a where statement to which compares fieldvalueA to fieldvalueB. where statement works great but I'd like to only hit the where statement only if a specific field does not exist. Hope that makes sense

My search that currently works looks something like this

searchHere (index=xyz sourcetype=xxx) OR (index=yyy sourcetype=tttt) 
|stats values(x) values(y) by fieldY
|where test1=test2

What I'd like to do is; if the second sourcetype does not return in the result-set then don't execute the where statement.

|stats values(x) values(y) by fieldY
|where test1=test2 if(exists(sourcetype=ttt)

Pretty sure there's a better way to do that, hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers and thanks for the help!

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You were so close!

(index="1" AND sourcetype="1") OR (index="2" sourcetype="2")
|eval joiner=coalesce(uqIDX, buildIDX, "JUSTINCASE")
|eval sourcetype1_value=if((sourcetype="1"), coalesce(sourcetype1_value, "0_no_build"), null())
|eval sourcetype2_value=if((sourcetype="2"), coalesce(sourcetype2_value, "Manual"), null())
|stats values(sourcetype1_value), values(sourcetype2_value), values(sourcetype2_valueB), values(sourcetype2_value3) BY joiner

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You were so close!

(index="1" AND sourcetype="1") OR (index="2" sourcetype="2")
|eval joiner=coalesce(uqIDX, buildIDX, "JUSTINCASE")
|eval sourcetype1_value=if((sourcetype="1"), coalesce(sourcetype1_value, "0_no_build"), null())
|eval sourcetype2_value=if((sourcetype="2"), coalesce(sourcetype2_value, "Manual"), null())
|stats values(sourcetype1_value), values(sourcetype2_value), values(sourcetype2_valueB), values(sourcetype2_value3) BY joiner
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

So if there is no data coming from sourcetype=ttt (which will be aggregated by your stats if present), then do not apply any filter? If this is correct, give this a try

|stats values(x) values(y) values(sourcetype) as sts by fieldY
 |where test1=test2 AND isnotnull(mvfilter(match(sts,"tttt")))
0 Karma

splunker1981
Path Finder

That worked but only if both tests matched. What I'd like to do is make the where statement fail if the sourcetype doesn't exist. Might be a better way to rewrite what I am trying to do which is essentially not use a join statement and use | stats instead

0 Karma

splunker1981
Path Finder

I'm starting by searching two indexes/sourcetypes

(index=1 and sourcetype=1) OR (index=2 and sourcetype=2)

Both have a few fields in common but I need to pull values from each sourcetype specifically.

sourcetype1 and sourcetype2 have 2 fields in common which I was using to join build_idx uqIDX.

Data always exists in the build sourcetype (sourcetype1) but only if the process has made it out of phase1 will it exist in sourcetype2. When I use stats to print fields from both sourcetypes, if an event does not exist in the second sourcetype then I get zero results.

Something like the below

index=1 sourcetype=1 OR index=2 sourcetype=2
|eval joinOn=coalesce(uqIDX,buildIDX)
|eval sourcetype1_value=if(isnull(sourcetype1_value),"0_no_build",sourcetype1_value) 
|eval sourcetype2_value=if(isnull(sourcetype2_value),"Manual",sourcetype2_value) 
|stats values(sourcetype1_value), values(sourcetype2_value), values(sourcetype2_valueB), values(sourcetype2_value3) by joinOn
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...