Splunk Search

How Do I Extract The End of String

IRHM73
Motivator

Hi, I wonder whether someone may be able to help me please.

From a field called 'detail.input' there are two potential outputs as shown below:

Request to /for/submissions/1234567890 and Request to /for/savedforlater/9876543210

What I'd like to do is extract the number at the end of the string.

I'd thought about using a regex, but because of the difference in the string, i.e. "submissions" as opposed to "savedforlater", I wasn't sure whether this could be done, so I wondered if I could the 'str' and 'len' commands.

I know how to omit the end of the character string, but I was wondering whether someone may be able to provide some guidance please how I can extract the end of the character string.

Many thanks and kind regards

Chris

0 Karma
1 Solution

javiergn
Super Champion

Something like this should do the trick (not tested):

rex "\/(?<mynumber>\d+)$"

If the number is not the last part of your string then I can provide something different.

View solution in original post

javiergn
Super Champion

Something like this should do the trick (not tested):

rex "\/(?<mynumber>\d+)$"

If the number is not the last part of your string then I can provide something different.

IRHM73
Motivator

Hi @javiergn, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

The solution works great, but so that I can improve my understanding, could you perhaps explain what the rex is doing?

Many thanks and kind regards

Chris

0 Karma

ziegfried
Influencer

Check out the explanation here: https://regex101.com/r/eY4cN2/1 (tab on the right hand side)

IRHM73
Motivator

Ah, thanks for that @ziegfried.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...