Splunk Search

Help with regex - How to exclude multiple parentheses and slashes from a field?

jalo23
Explorer

Is there a more elegant way to do this? New to using rex & I can’t seem to strip out the multiple parentheses and slashes from a field without using replace.  (I don't have control over the data, I know it is better to strip it out first.) These do work but in some cases there are more parentheses and slashes - is there a way to strip all of them out at once, or do I need to make repeating phrases?

| rex mode=sed field=Field_A "s/\(\)/ /g"

| rex mode=sed field=Field_B "s/\(\)/ /g"

| rex mode=sed field=Field_B "s/\// /g"

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can combine the parentheses and slash into a character class to strip them all out at once.  You will, however, need a separate rex command for each field being processed.

| rex mode=sed field=Field_A "s;[\(\)/];;g"

| rex mode=sed field=Field_B "s;[\(\)/];;g"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can combine the parentheses and slash into a character class to strip them all out at once.  You will, however, need a separate rex command for each field being processed.

| rex mode=sed field=Field_B "s;[\(\)/];;g"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

jalo23
Explorer

That worked great, thank you!

| rex mode=sed field=Field_A "s/\(\)/ /g"
| rex mode=sed field=Field_A "s/\// /g"
| rex mode=sed field=Field_A "s/\// /g"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...