Splunk Search

Help with query to notify when data ingestion is stopped

smanojkumar
Communicator

smanojkumar_0-1655721402351.png

Query to find when host is stopped, 
Here as mentioned in picture, the field _time stopped at the time , when the host is stopped and it's back to normal, when host is started . So need to trigger alert when host is stopped.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @smanojkumar,

the query is the same, the thing to change are the Time Frame and the scheduling.

Anyway, I hint to use an high frequency (e.g. 5 minutes) because if you don't receive logs you're blind!

The minimum frequency depends on eventual delays you have in your data ingestion.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

smanojkumar
Communicator

Hi @gcusello ,

Thanks for your response.

If in case , we should trigger only it does not brings data for 1 hour, What will the query?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @smanojkumar,

the query is the same, the thing to change are the Time Frame and the scheduling.

Anyway, I hint to use an high frequency (e.g. 5 minutes) because if you don't receive logs you're blind!

The minimum frequency depends on eventual delays you have in your data ingestion.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @smanojkumar,

my hint is to create a simple alert like the following:

| metasearch index=ps host="*sapgut301*" process_exec=masvc | head 1

scheduling it every 5 minuts, triggered if results=0.

It's a very quick search that you can run also with an higher frequency.

If instead you want to know if there's one host missing, it's a little bit different, because you need to have a list of host to monitor and put them in a lookup (called e.g. perimeter.csv) containing at least one column (called host) and scheduling a search like the following e.g. every 5 minutes:

| metasearch index=ps host="*sapgut301*" process_exec=masvc
| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| append [ | inputlookup perimeter.csv | eval host=lower(host), count=0 | fields host count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total BY host
| where total=0

Ciao.

Giuseppe

smanojkumar
Communicator

Hi @gcusello ,

It's worked, Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...