Splunk Search

Help with deduping similar values

tomapatan
Communicator

Hi Everyone,

I have a field called "User" that contains similar values and I was wondering how to remove or merge similar values?

For example: "Tony W" and "Anthony W" (both values of the same field) should be merged together.

I was looking at the fuzzy search and jellyfish apps on SplunkBase, but couldn't find a solution to the problem.

My search query:

(index="abc" Name=*) OR (index="xyz" department=* displayName=*)
| eval User=if(isnull(Name), upper(displayName), upper(Name))
| stats values(department) as department by User

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Unless you want to delve into the language processing wonderland, your best bet is to create a lookup and do it yourself.  Something like

shortenedspelled
tonyantony
nicknicolas
nicknikola
nicknocole
samsamuel
samsamantha
billwilliam
willwilliam

Let's call this table nicknames.  Then,

| eval User=if(isnull(Name), lower(displayName), lower(Name)) ``` lower or upper depends on lookup table design ```
| eval User = split(User, "\s+")
| eval firstName = mvindex(User, 0), lastName = mvindex(User, -1), middleInit = if(mvcount(User) > 2, mvindex(User, 1, -2), null())
| lookup nicknames shortened AS firstName output spelled
| lookup nicknames spelled AS firstName output shortened
| lookup nicknames spelled output shortened AS shortened2 ``` handle bill and will ```
| eval firstName = mvdedup(mvappend(firstName, spelled, shortened, shortened2))
| eval firstName = upper(mvjoin(mvsort(firstName), "/")) ``` upper wouldn't be needed if lookup table is in upper ```
| stats values(department) as department values(User) by firstName middleInit lastName ``` values(User) retains original data ```

Note that I chose to list a bunch of nicknames with ambiguity.  The only sensible way to handle them is to admit the uncertainty and retain data.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Unless you want to delve into the language processing wonderland, your best bet is to create a lookup and do it yourself.  Something like

shortenedspelled
tonyantony
nicknicolas
nicknikola
nicknocole
samsamuel
samsamantha
billwilliam
willwilliam

Let's call this table nicknames.  Then,

| eval User=if(isnull(Name), lower(displayName), lower(Name)) ``` lower or upper depends on lookup table design ```
| eval User = split(User, "\s+")
| eval firstName = mvindex(User, 0), lastName = mvindex(User, -1), middleInit = if(mvcount(User) > 2, mvindex(User, 1, -2), null())
| lookup nicknames shortened AS firstName output spelled
| lookup nicknames spelled AS firstName output shortened
| lookup nicknames spelled output shortened AS shortened2 ``` handle bill and will ```
| eval firstName = mvdedup(mvappend(firstName, spelled, shortened, shortened2))
| eval firstName = upper(mvjoin(mvsort(firstName), "/")) ``` upper wouldn't be needed if lookup table is in upper ```
| stats values(department) as department values(User) by firstName middleInit lastName ``` values(User) retains original data ```

Note that I chose to list a bunch of nicknames with ambiguity.  The only sensible way to handle them is to admit the uncertainty and retain data.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

tomapatan
Communicator

Hi yuanliu,

Appreciate the response, exactly what I needed.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...