Splunk Search

Help with Splunk search query and Lookup

Shashank_87
Explorer

Hi, I am struggling to form my search query along with lookup. So the scenarios is like this -
I have a search query which gets a web service response in which there is a tag "identifier" and this tags occurs multiple times in the same event with values like like P123456, D123465 etc.
On other side I have a lookup which contains some of these identifiers (only D*). Now I only want to retrieve those UNIQUE events which matches any of the identifier from the lookup.
I have written a query but not sure if that is correct (don't want to use join) and if someone can help me with a better search that would be highly appreciated.

index=test sourcetype=sales_log getProdDetails "soap response"
| rex field=_raw "=(?[^|]+)"
| rex field=_raw "identifier>(?[^<]+)" max_match=200
| eval productIdentifierNew = mvfilter(productIdentifier LIKE "D%")
| mvexpand productIdentifierNew
| join productIdentifierNew max=0
[| inputlookup productIdentifier.csv
| rename productIdentifier as productIdentifierNew]

Best Regards

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

| rex field=_raw "identifier>(?<productIdentifierNew>D[^\<]+)" max_match=200 
| lookup productIdentifier productIdentifierNew OUTPUT productIdentifier AS KeepMe
| where isnotnull(KeepMe)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Shashank_87,
to not use join is a good idea!
in fact you don't need to use join command with a lookup because the lookup command is a join!
so you could try something like this:

| rex field=_raw "=(?[^\|]+)" 
| rex field=_raw "identifier>(?[^\<]+)" max_match=200 
| eval productIdentifierNew = mvfilter(productIdentifier LIKE "D%") 
| mvexpand productIdentifierNew 
| lookup productIdentifier.csv productIdentifier AS productIdentifierNew OUTPUT interesting fields
| table ....

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

Shashank_87
Explorer

@gcusello
Hi Giuseppe, Thanks for your swift response. I tried using lookup command but what should i be putting in the interesting fields? So my lookup only contains one field "productIdentifier" and fields I want is uniqueID which is present in the events so that I can dedup it afterwards to get the unique events.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...