Splunk Search

Help using EXTRACT to capture a custom static value by source

jason_mannering
Engager

I am trying to find out how to create a custom field that will be available as an index field that I can set as a static value by source type in the prop.conf so that it will be available at search time via the UI . For example:

[source::/temp/weblogic.log]

sourcetype=weblogic-log

EXTRACT-appcomp = "weblogic"

EXTRACT-apptier = "application"

EXTRACT-appname = "e-commerce"

This does not seem to be working and I was hoping you could provide some guidance.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Karma

ndoshi
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Use Calculated Fields:

[source::/temp/weblogic.log]
sourcetype=weblogic-log
EVAL-appcomp = "weblogic"
EVAL-apptier = "application"
EVAL-appname = "e-commerce"

aelliott
Motivator

This helped a ton thanks! great for search time extractions.

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Use a TRANSFORMS in props.conf that will call the name of the transformation,
and in transforms.conf, you specify the regex and the value. (it can be a regex always matching)

see http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Configureindex-timefieldextraction
and http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Transformsconf

jason_mannering
Engager

Is there not a simpler way? It seems to me that if i use the TRANSFORM option then I will have to create a separate TRANSFORM stanza for each of the follow...

app-name::website

app-comp::weblogic

app-domain::commerce

app-tier::application

I need to add these for numerous instances, apps, components, domains tiers, etc. Creating the TRANSFORM stanzas for each will take a considerable effort. I effectively want the to be applied to any log we capture with the values set by source.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...