Splunk Search

Help needed Timechart Query

Macky_29
Explorer

Dear experts , 

I am searching on my bot index, which contain conve-id and rest of the fields are stored as payload. Using spath i am able to extract required fields from payload into a table , now for trend analysis i want to use time chart command to see number of users per month , however its not working , below is the query for your reference , need help with the query :

index=idx_chatbot logpoint=response-in AND service="journeyService" OR service="watsonPostMessage"
|spath input=payload output=displayname path=context.displayName 
| spath input=payload output=Country path=context.countryCode 
| spath input=payload output=Intent path=intents{}.intent 
|spath input=payload output=ticketResponse 
       path=response.createTicketResponse.Message 
| table conversation-id timestamp service duration logpoint userFeedback displayname text Country Intent category ticketResponse payload
| dedup conversation-id
| timechart span=1mon count(displayName) 
Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can't do a timechart without the _time field and your table command effectively removes the _time field

Also, not sure why your timechart is count(displayName) as that is counting occurrences of that field in all the deduped conversation-id events - so unless it is blank in some events, it will be a 1:1 relationship with conversation-id. 

It would seem that you are looking to count the number of individual conversations, so you would get this by replacing your last 3 lines with

| timechart span=1mon dc(conversation-id)

but if you are looking for distinct displayName then you can still replace the last 3 lines with

| timechart span=1mon dc(displayName)

unless you have have many _different_ displayName values for a single conversation-id

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Macky_29
Explorer

Macky_29_0-1674795926214.png

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

"Its not working" gives us nothing to work with.  Help us help you by explaining what the expected results are and what you are getting from the current query.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Macky_29
Explorer

@richgalloway 

It doesn't give any result , below is the screenshot

Macky_29_0-1674795974883.png

I am expecting it gives me monthly count (trend)of distinct display name i.e. users in my case.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can't do a timechart without the _time field and your table command effectively removes the _time field

Also, not sure why your timechart is count(displayName) as that is counting occurrences of that field in all the deduped conversation-id events - so unless it is blank in some events, it will be a 1:1 relationship with conversation-id. 

It would seem that you are looking to count the number of individual conversations, so you would get this by replacing your last 3 lines with

| timechart span=1mon dc(conversation-id)

but if you are looking for distinct displayName then you can still replace the last 3 lines with

| timechart span=1mon dc(displayName)

unless you have have many _different_ displayName values for a single conversation-id

0 Karma

Macky_29
Explorer

Thanks Bowesmana it works 😊

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...