Splunk Search

Help lookup command

splunkcol
Builder

Hello everyone

With some embarrassment I confess that I do not know how to use the lookup command and although I have read the documentation I have not been able to.

I have an index called antivirus and one of the fields is "application" from which I have obtained a list of all the programs installed on the users' computers.

Now my client has returned a response with the list of programs that are authorized and I must add an exception to them.

this is the SPL code that I currently use

index=antivirus event=KLNAG_EV_INV_APP_INSTALLED

|search Aplicacion!="*teams*" Aplicacion!="*Adobe*" Aplicacion!="*java*" Aplicacion!="*skype*" Aplicacion!="*365*" Aplicacion!="*kaspersky*" Aplicacion!="*chrome*" Aplicacion!="*SAP*" Aplicacion!="*SQL*" Aplicacion!="*visual studio*" Aplicacion!="*office*" Aplicacion!="*Microsoft OneDrive*" Aplicacion!="Microsoft Edge" Aplicacion!="WebView2 Runtime de Microsoft Edge" Aplicacion!="zoom" Aplicacion!="Hyland Unity Client [Unity_Prod]" Aplicacion!="Microsoft Windows QFE" Aplicacion!="Offimizer"

(here i need use lookup command)

| stats count by Aplicacion IP message
|sort - count

now, I know that I have the lookup editor plugin, I suppose that from there I can upload the file, my question is if it can be in .xlsx or if it has to be .csv

splunkcol_0-1658524362646.png

and 100 more

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkcol,

I hint to read very carefully the documentation about lookup because it's a very importanat command, 

Anyway, in the Splunk Editor Lookup and in every Splunk function, you have to always use csv format files, xls or xlsx files, becasuse Sples read only text files.

Then, in your case, you shouldn't use the lookup command but the inputlookup (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/8.2.2203/SearchReference/Inputlookup) , something like this:

index=antivirus event=KLNAG_EV_INV_APP_INSTALLED Aplicacion!="*teams*" Aplicacion!="*Adobe*" Aplicacion!="*java*" Aplicacion!="*skype*" Aplicacion!="*365*" Aplicacion!="*kaspersky*" Aplicacion!="*chrome*" Aplicacion!="*SAP*" Aplicacion!="*SQL*" Aplicacion!="*visual studio*" Aplicacion!="*office*" Aplicacion!="*Microsoft OneDrive*" Aplicacion!="Microsoft Edge" Aplicacion!="WebView2 Runtime de Microsoft Edge" Aplicacion!="zoom" Aplicacion!="Hyland Unity Client [Unity_Prod]" Aplicacion!="Microsoft Windows QFE" Aplicacion!="Offimizer" [ | inputlookup applications.csv | fields application ]
| stats count by applicacion IP message
| sort - count

beware the th field name in the subsearch and in the main search must be the same (it's case sensitive), I say this because you used in your description and in your search different names: the field name is "application" or "Application"?

In addition I hint to review the search you shared: you don't need to use the search command after the main search, you can (or better must!) put all the conditions in the main search.

If you use the search command after the main search you have slower searches, because: before you take all the results and then you filter them, instead of filtering them a the beginning.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkcol,

I hint to read very carefully the documentation about lookup because it's a very importanat command, 

Anyway, in the Splunk Editor Lookup and in every Splunk function, you have to always use csv format files, xls or xlsx files, becasuse Sples read only text files.

Then, in your case, you shouldn't use the lookup command but the inputlookup (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/8.2.2203/SearchReference/Inputlookup) , something like this:

index=antivirus event=KLNAG_EV_INV_APP_INSTALLED Aplicacion!="*teams*" Aplicacion!="*Adobe*" Aplicacion!="*java*" Aplicacion!="*skype*" Aplicacion!="*365*" Aplicacion!="*kaspersky*" Aplicacion!="*chrome*" Aplicacion!="*SAP*" Aplicacion!="*SQL*" Aplicacion!="*visual studio*" Aplicacion!="*office*" Aplicacion!="*Microsoft OneDrive*" Aplicacion!="Microsoft Edge" Aplicacion!="WebView2 Runtime de Microsoft Edge" Aplicacion!="zoom" Aplicacion!="Hyland Unity Client [Unity_Prod]" Aplicacion!="Microsoft Windows QFE" Aplicacion!="Offimizer" [ | inputlookup applications.csv | fields application ]
| stats count by applicacion IP message
| sort - count

beware the th field name in the subsearch and in the main search must be the same (it's case sensitive), I say this because you used in your description and in your search different names: the field name is "application" or "Application"?

In addition I hint to review the search you shared: you don't need to use the search command after the main search, you can (or better must!) put all the conditions in the main search.

If you use the search command after the main search you have slower searches, because: before you take all the results and then you filter them, instead of filtering them a the beginning.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...