Splunk Search

Help comparing outputcsv to inputcsv

michaelnorup
Communicator

Hi Team.

I have a big ol search that tables a bunch of resource usage data. Now i smack and outputcsv on that badboy, and schedule it to run once a month.

Before it runs next month i would like to run the search again , drag in the old search with inputcsv and then compare the two, and maybe only list the changes (And maybe how much it changes?)

(index="redacted" OR index="redacted2") EventCode=1011 | rex field=Message "\W(?<ServerName>\S+)\s\w+\W(?<PowerState>\S+)\s\w+\W(?<CpuCount>\S+)\s\w+\W(?<CoresPerSocket>\S+)\s\w+\W(?<GuestHostName>\S+)(:)(?<GuestOS>.+)(MemoryMB)\W(?<MemoryMB>\S+)\s\w+\W(?<ResourcePool>.+)(Version)\W(?<Version>\w+)\s\w+\W(?<UsedSpaceGB>\S+)\s\w+\W(?<ProvisionedSpaceGB>\S+)\s\w+\W(?<VMHost>\S+)\s\w+\W(?<Folder>.+)" | eval UsedSpaceGB = round(UsedSpaceGB,2) | eval ProvisionedSpaceGB = round(ProvisionedSpaceGB,2) | search VMHost="***" | table ServerName PowerState CpuCount CoresPerSocket GuestHostName GuestOS MemoryMB ResourcePool Version UsedSpaceGB ProvisionedSpaceGB VMHost Folder | dedup ServerName | search ServerName="*" | search VMHost="*" PowerState="*" ResourcePool="redacted "| outputcsv redacted_filename.csv

New search: inputcsv redacted_filename.csv lists the old search just fine, except it sorted the tablenames alphabetically, but whatever.

Is there an easy way to compare the two, or will i have to extract all fields and compare manually?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

michaelnorup
Communicator

Anybody with an idea for a quicker way to do it?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could use stats values(*) as * by key field and then look for mvcount()s greater than 1

michaelnorup
Communicator

Hey ITWhisperer, thanks for replying.

Think you could spell it out for me? 😐

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

your search (without outputlookup)
| inputlookup redacted_filename.csv
| stats values(*) as * by ServerName
| foreach *
  [| eval different=if(mvcount(<<FIELD>>) > 1, "true", null())]
| where different="true" 
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...