Splunk Search

Help With Event Cleanup - Remove "-"

ghostdog920
Path Finder

I am having a problem with what i believe is writing a regex to clean up some events before i report on them in dashboard.  I am pulling specific security events from windows and each event should return a username and a domain.  I am getting those results, but with each, it is also returning a second data item "-".  That is throwing things off/making it look ugly and i havent had much luck ripping it out.  Hoping someone can assist and possibly explain what the solution is doing?  I tried to do an eval replace for the field where "-" is replaced with "" but then none of my events showed up so clearly that was wrong.  A sample event looks like this to help clarify what i am getting:

SplunkHelpEventExample.png

I basically need to drop the first line from both the "Account" and also "Account_Domain" so that i would only get service. and PF as values.

As always, help is greatly appreciated.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval Account_Domain=mvindex(Account_Domain,1), Account_Name=mvindex(Account_Name,1)
————————————
If this helps, give a like below.

View solution in original post

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval Account_Domain=mvindex(Account_Domain,1), Account_Name=mvindex(Account_Name,1)
————————————

ghostdog920
Path Finder

So the mvindex basically says for that field, choose in this case, the 2nd value for the field as the only value for that field?

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

yes, considering second value.

Account_Name and Account_Domain fields are multi value fields  and fields index start from 0 means 1st value. in our case we needed to consider second value so it would be index 1. hope its clear.

————————————
Tags (1)

ghostdog920
Path Finder

It is!  Thank you so much!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...