Splunk Search

Having REGEX Problems

usersnation
Explorer

Sorry for the cross post but after posting i saw a recommendation to use this forum instead of splunk.com

I am having issues getting REGEX to work my sample input is a simple two column csv for testing purposes (date,fakeip) the data looks like this:

8/31/2010 12:12:12,1.1.1.1
9/1/2010 12:12:12,1.1.1.1
9/2/2010 12:12:12,1.1.1.1
9/3/2010 12:12:12,1.1.1.1

my config files are as follows

props.conf

[c_netflowdata]
TRANSFORMS-foo=c_regex

Over the course of the past 8 hours I have tried a large number of different transforms files none which seem to do anything useful so there is obviously something that i am missing from the splunk documentation and peoples examples on this forum below are a few transforms.conf examples that i have tried. The have all produce varying results none of which have resulted in selectable fields in the Search app's field pick'em box

transforms.conf

[c_regex]
REGEX=(\d+/\d+/\d+\s\d+:\d+:\d+)
FORMAT=thedate::$1

[c_regex]
REGEX=(\d+/\d+/\d+\s\d+:\d+:\d+).*

[c_regex]
REGEX=[^,],(\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)    
FORMAT=src_ip::$1

[c_regex]
REGEX=(\d+/\d+/\d+\s\d+:\d+:\d+),(\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)
FORMAT=thedate::$1 src_ip::$2

I have successfully parsed the data using DELIMS and FIELDS - however there is a specific reason that I am trying to use REGEX - i.e. this is the first step in solving a larger issue that i am trying to address

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance

Tags (1)

Genti
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

then you definitely do not want to use index time extractions

0 Karma

usersnation
Explorer

yes thedate is just an example sorry for the confusion

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Do you really want thedate as a field, or is that just an example? If your data has been read in correctly, you should be able to use _time and format it out in any way you want, without using that. Otherwise, see answers below.

0 Karma

Genti
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yeap, this should work: [c_regex]
REGEX=(\d+/\d+/\d+\s\d+:\d+:\d+)
WRITE_META=true

Make sure that the data is actually coming in with sourcetype c_netflow.

0 Karma

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

When you specify your regex using TRANSFORMS- in props.conf, this is run at index time and has different properties than search time regexes (specifically, the output needs to be written to _meta with WRITE_META=true). You can either specify it as REPORT- in props.conf, and refer to transforms.conf. It's even easier to specify inline in props.conf:

[c_netflowdata]
EXTRACT-foo = (?<thedate>\d+/\d+/\d+\s\d+:\d+:\d+),(?<src_ip>\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)

usersnation
Explorer

I haven't attempted REPORT - but EXTRACT gets the job done. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...