Splunk Search

Grouping of data and charts

earthport2

Hi all,

I'm a beginner about Splunk and I'm studying and implementing it for the company I work.

One of the first reports I'm setting up is the number of denies that our firewalls record. I set up a search that include the name of the firewall, the host that has and how many times the denies have been recorded:

index=net host=192.168.0.1 OR host=192.168.0.1 106023 | rex "(?=[^s]*(?:src outside:|s.*src outside:))^(?:[^:\n]*:){4}(?P<denied_host>\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)" | table host denied_host | stats count(denied_host) as count by host, denied_host | sort - count

And it works, I can see the data.

The next requirement is to plot the data in a graph, a line for each firewall, and schedule a daily execution. To do this I define a data model where I set a root search, then when I create a pivot I set up the columns and the rows, but the result is always no events found. I'm not able to understand the problem. Why the

What mistake am I doing? Is this the correct way to setup what I need? I already spent 2 days on this, reading guides, searching online and I can't find a solution or I'm not able to understand what I've found.

UPDATE: I also tried a different way, but always with data models. I defined custom field extractions and used a simpler search:

index=net host=192.168.0.1 OR host=192.168.0.2 | stats count(denied_host) as count by host, denied_host

But then again, when I define a data model with denied_host as rows, host as columns and sum of count as value, I receive "no results found"

Please, bear with my lack of terminology, I'll clarify any mistake.
Thanks,
Fabrizio

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Your "table" command is eliminating all of your fields and you don't need it; also you do not need a data model to graph. Try this:

index=net host=192.168.0.1 OR host=192.168.0.1 106023 | rex "(?=[^s]*(?:src outside:|s.*src outside:))^(?:[^:\n]*:){4}(?P<denied_host>\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)" |  timechart span=1h count BY host, denied_host

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Your "table" command is eliminating all of your fields and you don't need it; also you do not need a data model to graph. Try this:

index=net host=192.168.0.1 OR host=192.168.0.1 106023 | rex "(?=[^s]*(?:src outside:|s.*src outside:))^(?:[^:\n]*:){4}(?P<denied_host>\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)" |  timechart span=1h count BY host, denied_host

earthport2

I was finally able to do what I needed:
index=net host=192.168.0.1 OR host=192.168.0.2 106023 | rex "(?=[^s]*(?:src outside:|s.*src outside:))^(?:[^:\n]*:){4}(?P&lt;denied_host&gt;\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)" | top limit=30 showperc=false denied_host by host | chart sum(count) as denies by denied_host, host | addtotals fieldname=total | sort -total | fields - total

0 Karma

earthport2

Can I run this as a scheduled report every day? Plus I don't need a time chart, on the x-axis I need denied_host, but I'll check myself in the command list

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, you can schedule searches such as these:

index=net host=192.168.0.1 OR host=192.168.0.1 106023 | rex "(?=[^s]*(?:src outside:|s.*src outside:))^(?:[^:\n]*:){4}(?P&lt;denied_host&gt;\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)" |  chart count BY host, denied_host
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...