Splunk Search

Getting error in rex command while running search for DB health check report.

firefox95
Explorer

Hello Splunkers,

I'm working on creating a DB health check report. Idea is to get the  error info when there is  a failed db connection.  When I'm trying to run the search below in Splunk QA I'm getting an error as Error in 'rex' command: Encountered the following error while compiling the regex '^(?<error>.*)\n?': Regex: syntax error in subpattern name (missing terminator).

Could you please help me resolve this issue? Thanks in advance. 

index="_internal" sourcetype=dbx_job_metrics input_name=* connection="*"
| eval event_time=strftime(_time,"%m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S")
| join type=left connection [search index="_internal" sourcetype=dbx_server ERROR
| rex field=_raw "^(?<error>.*)\n?"
| rex field=error "/api/connections/(?<connection>[^/]+)"]
| stats latest(event_time) as event_time latest(host) as HF latest(connection) as connection latest(status) as status latest(error) as error by input_name
| sort - status
Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

Nisha18789
Builder

hi @firefox95 , if you are using this search for a report , please use below 

index="_internal" sourcetype=dbx_job_metrics input_name=* connection="*"
| eval event_time=strftime(_time,"%m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S")
| join type=left connection [search index="_internal" sourcetype=dbx_server ERROR
| rex field=_raw "^(?<error>.*)\n?"
| rex field=error "/api/connections/(?<connection>[^/]+)"]
| stats latest(event_time) as event_time latest(host) as HF latest(connection) as connection latest(status) as status latest(error) as error by input_name
| sort - status

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @firefox95,

the first regex isn't so clear for me, because it seems that you take with the first regex all the _raw and with the second a part of it, so why you extracted twice?

could you share an example of your logs?

Then when you insert codes please use the "Insert/Edit Code Sample" button (the one with "</>").

At least why do you use Join between in a search on the same index? remember that there's the limit of 50,000 results in subsearches, maybe it's possible to run a simpler search.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...