Splunk Search

Get totals of sessions for each IP

gryfon

Hello, everyone.
I have a series of logs that have, among other data, the source address from which they come (src_ip) and the session of which they are part (session). How do I get a table showing the total number of unique sessions in which each source IP address is involved?

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried ... | stats dc(session) by src_ip ?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried ... | stats dc(session) by src_ip ?

---
0 Karma

gryfon

Thanks richgalloway.

The correct query is: "| table src_ip, session | stats dc(session) by src_ip"

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you saying this is your current query? If so, what results do you get?

---
0 Karma

gryfon

Yes. I get the table with the src_ip and the corresponding numbers of unique sessions involved to each IP.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@gryfon there is no need to add table command which is transforming (non-streaming) command and brings all the data to search head for further processing. So if you have clustered environment with multiple indexers you will not leverage the search performance improvement through parallelization (map) and subsequently no advantage of map-reduce in stats command which merely works on the result of table command in your case. If your index has too many fields, you can try fields (streaming command) instead of table or directly stats after your main query.

Refer to documentation: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Table#Command_type

And also read about search optimization and parallel reduce documentation.

PS: I have converted @richgalloway 's comment to answer. Please accept the answer if your issue is resolved.

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...