Splunk Search

Get the exception and Error in Splunk query

bhartiya008
Explorer

I  am trying to build a splunk query to get the error summary from a log. I want to capture all the events where there is some ERROR, Exception or Failure.

Below is the sample data :

ERROR org.mule.component.ComponentException: Failed to invoke ScriptComponent{bapmFlow.component.797791858}. Component that caused exception is: ScriptComponent{bapmFlow.component.797791858}.
host = host1 = /odt/mule_/logs/bapm.logsourcetype = gdt_index
2/7/21
12:00:04.000 AM 
2021-02-07 00:00:04,422 [[Java2python].bapmFlow.stage1.03] ERROR org.mule.exception.CatchMessagingExceptionStrategy - Failed to dispatch message to error queue after it failed to process.  This may cause message loss. Message identification summary here: id=54972f10-6901-11eb-ad2a-0050568f5886 correlationId=<not set>, correlationGroup=-1, correlationSeq=-1
host = host1 = /odt/mule_/logs/bapm.logsourcetype = gdt_index

2021-02-07 00:00:04,407 [[Java2python].bapmFlow.stage1.03] ERROR org.mule.exception.CatchMessagingExceptionStrategy - 
********************************************************************************
Message               : org.mule.module.db.internal.domain.connection.ConnectionCreationException: Cannot get connection for URL jdbc:sqlserver://VLTROUXRPT.us.global.crux.com\PRS:1713;databaseName=DFT;domain=US;integratedSecurity=false;authenticationScheme=JavaKerberos;userName=Jack;password=<<credentials>>;trustServerCertificate=true;encrypt=true; : Login failed for user 'Jack'. ClientConnectionId:34edad77-7de1-4d0f-bc13-0fb7f090f722 (java.sql.SQLException)

2021-02-07 00:00:02,936 [[Java2python].bapmFlow.stage1.03] ERROR org.mule.exception.CatchMessagingExceptionStrategy - 
... 89 lines omitted ...
2021-02-07 00:00:02,951 [[Java2python].bapmFlow.stage1.03] ERROR org.mule.exception.CatchMessagingExceptionStrategy - Failed to dispatch message to error queue after it failed to process.  This may cause message loss. Message identification summary here: id=54970800-6901-11eb-a3d3-0050568f5165 correlationId=<not set>, correlationGroup=-1, correlationSeq=-1

I have noticed the below: The ERROR keyword before the failures with the exception name. So I built this basic query like below but it's not giving the desired results:

index=hdt  sourcetype=gdt_index ("ERROR" AND "Exception") OR "FAILED"
| rex ".*?(?<Exception>(\w+\.)+\w*Exception).*"
| rex "(?<ErrorMessage>\"Message\":(.*\",))"
| stats values(ErrorMessage) as ErrorMessage by Exception

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can get both values from one rex expression - I extended the Exception part to include other words such as Strategy to get the complete name of the exception, then skip over the non-words (spaces, colons, etc.), then assume the remainder of the line was the error message you wanted.

| rex ".*?(?<Exception>(\w+\.)+\w*Exception\w*)\W+(?<ErrorMessage>.*)"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bhartiya008
Explorer

Thanks @ITWhisperer  Yes ..You are right. I was trying to follow the examples I had in my project.
I want the message of the failures which comes right after the exception
For e.g. 

Failed to invoke ScriptComponent{bapmFlow.component.797791858}. Component that caused exception is: ScriptComponent{bapmFlow.component.797791858}.
Cannot get connection for URL jdbc:sqlserver://VLTROUXRPT.us.global.crux.com\PRS:1713;databaseName=DFT;domain=US;integratedSecurity=false;authenticationScheme=JavaKerberos;userName=Jack;password=<<credentials>>;trustServerCertificate=true;encrypt=true; : Login failed for user 'Jack'. ClientConnectionId:34edad77-7de1-4d0f-bc13-0fb7f090f722 (java.sql.SQLException)

I want the exception name and the messages with which it failed.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can get both values from one rex expression - I extended the Exception part to include other words such as Strategy to get the complete name of the exception, then skip over the non-words (spaces, colons, etc.), then assume the remainder of the line was the error message you wanted.

| rex ".*?(?<Exception>(\w+\.)+\w*Exception\w*)\W+(?<ErrorMessage>.*)"
0 Karma

bhartiya008
Explorer

@ITWhisperer  Can you also please explain a bit about it.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
".*?(?<Exception>(\w+\.)+\w*Exception\w*)\W+(?<ErrorMessage>.*)"
.*? - not really needed since * means 0 or more so could match anything or nothing
(?<Exception>(\w+\.)+\w*Exception\w*) - first capture group
  <Exception> - name of field
  (\w+\.)+ - one or more groups of "letters" followed by a . e.g. class in exception class hierarchy
  \w*Exception - zero or more "letters" followed by Exception
  \w* - zero or more "letters"
  Strings which match this are put into the Exception field (assuming the rest of the expression matches)
\W+ - one or more "non-letter" e.g. punctuation and spaces
(?<ErrorMessage>.*) - second capture group
  <ErrorMessage> - name of field
  .* - zero or more of anything until end of the line
0 Karma

bhartiya008
Explorer

@ITWhisperer Thank you so much!! This will help 🙂

0 Karma

bhartiya008
Explorer

@ITWhisperer --This looks Perfect to me!!
Thanks !!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't have anything in your example that contains "Message": so ErrorMessage would not contain anything - what were you expecting it to hold?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...