Splunk Search

Generating _events_ in search

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hello there.

I was wondering... is there any way to generate _events_ in search?

I mean, I know of the makeresults command of course but it generates stats results, not events per se.

Is there any way to generate events search-time, to - for example - test parsing rules?

Something like (pseudocode):

| <generate_my_events> | eval _raw="blah blah" | eval source="syslog" | eval sourcetype="whatever:syslog"
Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Tried that 🙂 That was my first obvious choice.

It generates the results as stats, not as events.

PickleRick_0-1636467333474.png

As I said, the point is mostly to check parsing without the need of external event source.

But I just thought of something else 🙂
I still can't generate the event "on the fly" but I can generate it with makeresults and then write it to a test index with collect. It doesn't give me much flexibility in the host/time/source area but those are indexed fields anyway. But sourcetype can be specified with collect so I think I'm good.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ldongradi_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It's possible to append makeresults to an events search so to generate events instead of a stats table, with that syntax :

index=dummy earliest=-1s
| append [| makeresults count=8935 | eval _time=('_time' - (random() % 86400))]

After that you can play with the number of events and the timrange (here with a backfill of 24h).

You can improve the events content with some random data before closing the subsearch:

| eval ip=((((("10." . (((random() % 4) * 10) + 10)) . ".") . ((random() % 16) + 17)) . ".") . ((random() % 16) + 33)) 

| eval _spacelist="Lungdanum Londres Londra Londar Landan Londin Lonn London Paris Parigi Paras Lutetia Parais Paras Pari Paries Pariis Pariisi Parijs Ba-le Parisium New-York Berlin Washington Kathmandu"
| makemv delim=" " _spacelist
| eval city=mvindex(_spacelist,((random() % mvcount(_spacelist)) - 1)) 

| eval _dashlist=" problem- issue- situation- operation- intervention-" 
| makemv delim="-" _dashlist
| eval operation=mvindex(_dashlist,((random() % mvcount(_dashlist)) - 1))

And end up with:

| eval _raw=_time.operation." in ".city." from ".ip
  • There nothing indexed.
  • Events are generated on the fly.
  • You can create your own lists with or without a lookup.
  • You can add that to a dashboard to make it more interactive.

ldongradi_splun_0-1639134057621.png

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Now that's a neat trick!

It seems that it indeed does generate events instead of stats table.

Unfortunately, those events are not parsed.

For example - the same event as a result from the normal search:

PickleRick_0-1639137405450.png

And the same event re-created with makeresults:

PickleRick_1-1639137470970.png

Of course I wouldn't expect index-time extractions to work but apparently search-time transforms are not applied either.

0 Karma

ldongradi_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you want it indexed and parsed, you can make it a scheduled saved search to run every 5' with an extra

| outputcsv append=true tobeindexed.csv

Then ensure you monitor that file and you can define whatever parsing settings you want.

Personally, I use a dashboard to generate some events with either a log format or a JSON format, and I add a filter to reduce activity by a random of 50% for night hours and 20% for weekends.

I can generate thousands of events in a blip, export them as a file, and test my parsing settings easily.

For more advanced types and inputs, I use the SA_eventgen.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

gentimes is another event generating command particularly if you want time-based dummy data

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use makeresults to generate events then use eval commands to add the desired fields to those events.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Tried that 🙂 That was my first obvious choice.

It generates the results as stats, not as events.

PickleRick_0-1636467333474.png

As I said, the point is mostly to check parsing without the need of external event source.

But I just thought of something else 🙂
I still can't generate the event "on the fly" but I can generate it with makeresults and then write it to a test index with collect. It doesn't give me much flexibility in the host/time/source area but those are indexed fields anyway. But sourcetype can be specified with collect so I think I'm good.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...