Splunk Search

Generate alert when 2 consecutive events occurred for each server

acirulli
Engager

I have several servers sending me log.

For each log I have a field called X if X=100 for two consecutive times I have to generate an alert.

I would like to produce 1 query to monitor every server and I want it to generate an alert if one of the servers has 2 consecutive events (described above) occurring.

Any idea?

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try using streamstats with a two-event window, then search where the total is equal to 200.

... | streamstats window=2 sum(X) as Totals by host | search Totals=200

acirulli
Engager

Seems working.
But I have 142 consecutive events with x=100 if I ran your query I got 9 events, I would expect 71 (a half), am I wrong?

If i ran the same query with window 1 and filter for 100 I got 142 events and this is what I expect.

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you have a few sample events? That might help.

A couple of notes, though - make sure splitting by "host" is correct, I just threw that in there as "host" but you asked for "server" (I assumed they are the same, but I could be wrong). If your 142 are from different servers, it wouldn't trigger this each time. Also make sure you aren't trimming out the X!=100 events ahead of time, this requires them to be there in order to make it not spam you (i.e. your base search should be fairly wide open and not specify X=anything.) As always, the devil is in the details!

BTW, with your example IF those all came from the same server, you'd actually have 141 triggered alerts. When event 1 comes in it won't trigger because there's only one event. When event two comes in with X=100, it'll trigger on those two. When event three comes in it'll trigger on event 2 and 3. When event four comes in it'll trigger on events 3 and 4.

If you'd like different behavior, we can do other things too. Keep in mind for an ALERT you can throttle it, too.

0 Karma

acirulli
Engager

Host is right and I'm not trimming any value:

Here is my query:
index=xxx sourcetype=xxxx | streamstats window=2 sum(PLOSS_PING) as total by host | search total=200

Everything seems fine to me but the output is not the one expected....

In this image I provide you an output example of the query:
https://unsee.cc/togedupi/

In this other one an example of series of consecutive events that did not show up in the query

https://unsee.cc/gubamote/

What do you think?

To me something is wrong...

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ah,

Add global=f to the streamstats.

index=xxx sourcetype=xxxx | streamstats window=2 sum(PLOSS_PING) as total by host global=f| search total=200 

(Did I mention I apparently don't use the by clause much?)

0 Karma

acirulli
Engager

Version is 6.3

0 Karma

acirulli
Engager

The same 9 results instead of 141 😞

0 Karma

acirulli
Engager

Is it considering two consecutive in general or two consecutive by the same host?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...