Splunk Search

Funkyness with Eval

tmarlette
Motivator

SO I am using an EVAL command in one of my searches in order to name process state as "OK" or "DOWN". This is my Query:

sourcetype=WMI:Service Name=VMTools | dedup host,Name | eval State = if(State == Running, "OK","DOWN") | table _time,host,Name,State

When I do I get the process is down, even if it's running. Please take a look at the image:

alt text

Now when I remove the "EVAL" Statement in the query above, it looks just fine. This is the query I am using:

sourcetype=WMI:Service Name=VMTools | dedup host,Name | table _time,host,Name,State

This is the image for the results no less than 1 minute after the previous image:
alt text

I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong? I checked the documentation, but I haven't seen this behavior before. I've been looking at this for awhile, and I'm wondering if there is a simple syntax error i'm overlooking?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

aelliott
Motivator

perhaps quotation marks around "Running"?
It may be looking for the field named Running.

View solution in original post

aelliott
Motivator

perhaps quotation marks around "Running"?
It may be looking for the field named Running.

tmarlette
Motivator

Oh... My... God..... I feel completely inadequate. Thank you very much sir!

so long... everything looks the same!!

0 Karma

tmarlette
Motivator

Running a search on every service on that machine WITH the EVAL statement, it shows every service as "DOWN".

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...