Splunk Search

Frequency correlation between different sourcetypes

nl_cape
Explorer

I have two sourcetypes, one containing alerts from users that we have a problem, and another one with server logs. In a first stage, I would like to correlate the number of exceptions and the number of alerts received. I'm struggling with how to implement this, however. I tried starting from (sourcetype="Alerts") OR (sourcetype="ExceptionLog" level="Warning" OR level="Error") | bin _time span=3h. So, I would like to get the number of alerts in a bucket, and associate it with the number of exceptions in the same bucket, but how? I read http://blogs.splunk.com/2012/10/01/simple-correlation-in-splunk, but didn't seem to work for my case.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

nl_cape
Explorer

@jtrucks: The first idea is to explore if there is a correlation between user alerts and exceptions we log. I'd like to do a scatter plot of this over time, which should hopefully make this somewhat clear.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Try this

(sourcetype="Alerts") OR (sourcetype="ExceptionLog" level="Warning" OR level="Error") 
| bucket _time span=1d
| stats count(eval(sourcetype="Alerts")) as Alerts count(eval(sourcetype="ExceptionLog")) as Exceptions by host _time

As @jtrucks pointed out, you didn't give any criteria for correlating the two sets of events, so I did it by host and day.

lguinn2
Legend

Aww, raspberry to me! I will fix the answer - thanks.

0 Karma

nl_cape
Explorer

Ah. Changing it to count(eval(sourcetype="Alerts")) makes it work. As is clearly written in the docs. Whoops.

nl_cape
Explorer

Interesting, that is precisely what I tried. What happens is that I get no results from count(sourcetype="AnySource"). I even tried sourcetype!="Alerts"), and I still get a count of zero. Removing the stats command, or removing the sourcetype, works as expected.

0 Karma

jtrucks
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What is your end goal? Are you trying to compare counts, or are you trying to correlate each Alerts event with an ExceptionLog event? Why are you putting it into a bucket specifically rather than simply working with search results? (Not that using a bucket is bad, but I am just looking for your thought process and reasoning so we can help you more.)

--
Jesse Trucks
Minister of Magic
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...