Splunk Search

Forescout nested json- How do I categorize the nested json objects into fields within the array?

Foss
Engager

Hello,

I am currently working on a use case which has complex ingested data with nested json. The data I am trying to capture is non compliant. I am looking for guidance on how to categorize the nested json objects into fields within the array. Here is the redacted information I currently have, thank you!

Search I am using:
index=fsctcenter sourcetype=fsctcenter_json
| regex "Non Compliant[^\:]+\:\"\d+\"\,\"status\":\"Match"
| rex field=_raw "policy_name\":\"(?<policy_name>[a-zA-z1-9\.\s+]+Non\sCompliant[^\"]+)"
| rex field=_raw "rule_name\":\"(?<rule_name>[a-zA-z1-9\.\s+]+Non\sCompliant[^\"]+)"

Raw:

{"ctupdate":"policyinfo","ip":"X.X.X.X","policies":[{"rule_name":"XXXX","policy_name":"XXXX","since":"XXXX","status":"XXXX"},{"rule_name":"XXXX","policy_name":"XXXX","since":"XXXX","status":"XXXX"},{"rule_name":"XXXX","policy_name":"XXXX","since":"XXXX","status":"XXXX"},{"rule_name":"XXXX","policy_name":"XXXX","since":"XXXX","status":"XXXX"},...etc

List:

policies: [ [-]
{ [-]
policy_name: XXXX
rule_name: XXXX
since: XXXX
}
{ [-]
policy_name: XXXX
rule_name: XXXX
since: XXXX
}
Etc...

Currently Splunk ES is not itemizing the fields correctly for the nested json above. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

First of all, it is rarely good to use regex to handle structured data like JSON.  Splunk has far more powerful tools.  Second, you really want to illustrate fake/anonymized data in a way that can exemplify your desired outcome.  Third, it is always good to illustrate your desired outcome.

The following illustration is based on my speculation of your requirement.

Raw data:

{"ctupdate":"policyinfo","ip":"X.X.X.X","policies":[{"rule_name":"rule1","policy_name":"policy1","since":"2022-01-01","status":"Match"},{"rule_name":"rule2","policy_name":"policy2","since":"2022-02-01","status":"Match"},{"rule_name":"rule1","policy_name":"policy1","since":"2022-03-01","status":"expired"},{"rule_name":"rule4","policy_name":"policy4","since":"2022-04-01","status":"revoked"}]}

With this, Splunk should already have these fields extracted:

ctupdateip
policies{}.policy_name
policies{}.rule_name
policies{}.since
policies{}.status
policyinfoX.X.X.X
policy1
policy2
policy3
policy4
rule1
rule2
rule3
rule4
2022-01-01
2022-02-01
2022-03-01
2022-04-01
Match
Match
expired
revoked

(Even if these fields are not extracted, they can be extracted with spath command.)

I further speculate that you want to access elements of policies{}.  This can be achieved with spath command with path parameter:

| spath path=policies{}

This should give you an additional multivalue field policies{} like

policies{}
{"rule_name":"rule1","policy_name":"policy1","since":"2022-01-01","status":"Match"}
{"rule_name":"rule2","policy_name":"policy2","since":"2022-02-01","status":"Match"}
{"rule_name":"rule3","policy_name":"policy3","since":"2022-03-01","status":"expired"}
{"rule_name":"rule4","policy_name":"policy4","since":"2022-04-01","status":"revoked"}

To operate on individual elements in the array, use mvexpand followed by another spath, i.e.,

| spath path=policies{}
| mvexpand policies{}
| spath input=policies{}

This will generate one event per value of policies{}, like this

policies{}policy_namerules_namesincestatus
{"rule_name":"rule1","policy_name":"policy1","since":"2022-01-01","status":"Match"}policy1rule12022-01-01Match
{"rule_name":"rule2","policy_name":"policy2","since":"2022-02-01","status":"Match"}policy2rule22022-02-01Match
{"rule_name":"rule3","policy_name":"policy3","since":"2022-03-01","status":"expired"}policy3rule32022-03-01expired
{"rule_name":"rule4","policy_name":"policy4","since":"2022-04-01","status":"revoked"}policy4rule42022-04-01revoked

Hope this helps.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...