Splunk Search

Finding many events not linked to a single end event

jmowat
Engager
I have a bunch of incoming events that either link to a single outcome event or don't link. I'm interested in determining all the events that don't link to the outcome event. For example:

• Tx 1, event="message_received", id="A"
  • Tx 2, event="message_received", id="A"
  • Tx 3, event="message_received", id="B"
  • Tx 4, event="message_received", id="A"
  • Tx 20, event="batch_send_success", id="B"
I would like to run a search to determine which events have not been sent; in the case above, all the events with id="A" do not have a corresponding event="batch_send_success", id="A" event, so I would like to show Tx 1, Tx 2, and Tx 4 in the search.

I tried using transaction with keepevicted=true, but that doesn't seem to work for many-to-one linkage transactions like I am trying; it works in reverse and ends up considering all "message_received" with the exception of the most recent one as evicted and gives me false negatives.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try using stats.

index=foo
| stats values(*) as * by id
| where isnull(mvfind(event, "batch_send_success"))

The stats command combines all "event" fields with the same id.  Then mvfind is used to find those that don't contain (returns NULL) "batch_send_success".

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try using stats.

index=foo
| stats values(*) as * by id
| where isnull(mvfind(event, "batch_send_success"))

The stats command combines all "event" fields with the same id.  Then mvfind is used to find those that don't contain (returns NULL) "batch_send_success".

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...