Splunk Search

Find duration on transaction where field name doesn't match

pkcbailey

Sample data:

May 25 01:51:14 ns1 named[32063]: zone somezone.net/IN/default: notify from 192.168.10.20#31830: serial 558310538
May 25 03:16:17 ns1 named[32063]: zone somezone.net/IN/default: transferred serial 558310538: TSIG 'view12345'

My issue is, without using the serial number which I've not been able to map to the same field name, the data won't be tracked correctly in a transaction. I get transactions with serial number that don't match. I need to know how long it took the DNS to notify then transfer somezone.net for the same exact serial number.

0 Karma

pkcbailey

Here was the query I started with: index=dns host=ns1 ((notify AND serial) OR serial) somezone.net |transaction zonename startswith=notify endswith=transferred |where duration>600 |table duration

0 Karma

jodyfsu
Path Finder

Before we address the transaction, you say, "without using the serial number which I've not been able to map to the same field name,"...

Will a rex not work to get you the serial number, then you could use the serial number for the transaction?

0 Karma

pkcbailey

I'm not sure how to rex that into a single value.

0 Karma

jodyfsu
Path Finder

Does this work:

|rex "serial\s(?<SERIALNUMB>\d+)"
0 Karma

pkcbailey

None of the rex code folks have provided group the transaction with the same serial number yet.

0 Karma

aromanauskas
Path Finder

Try this:

index=dns host=ns1 ((notify AND serial) OR serial) somezone.net |rex "\s+serial\s+(?<serial_test>\d+)" | transaction serial_test,zonename max_events=2  startswith=notify endswith=transferred| where duration>600 |table duration
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...