Splunk Search

Filter the Splunk results into a visualization

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

I have Splunk results in following format:

2021-11-13 01:02:50.127 ERROR 23 --- [ taskExecutor-2] c.c.p.r.service.RedisService             : The Redis Cache had no record for key: null Returning empty list.

2021-10-22 21:11:51.996 ERROR 22 --- [ taskExecutor-1] c.c.p.r.service.SftpService           : Could not delete file: /-/XYZ.FILE - 4: Failure

2021-10-22 02:05:14.426 ERROR 22 --- [ taskExecutor-1] c.c.p.r.service.SftpService           : Could not delete file: /-/XYZ.FILE - 4: Failure

I want to create a Visualization in the following format - In the attached screenshot. 

The **count variable** is based on the "Error Message" only. Since "Could not delete file: /-/XYZ.FILE - 4: Failure" appeared twice, hence the count is set to 2. As the logs grow, and this message occurrence increase, this count should increase too.

I tried using erex and substring from Splunk but kinda failed miserably!

Any help on how to form the Splunk query for this visualization would be appreciated.

Thanks

Labels (6)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

This query works

index=rac_sd "ERROR * ---" "taskExecutor-*" 
|  rex field=msg "^(?<Time>\S+\s+\S+)\s+\S+\s+(?<Error_Code>\d+)[^\]]+\]\s+(?<Service_Name>\S+)\s+:\s+(?<Error_Message>.+)"
| table Error_Message Time Error_Code Service_Name 
| eventstats count as Count by Error_Message Error_Code Service_Name 
| sort -Count

Thanks @somesoni2 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

@somesoni2 
I ran the query:

index=rac_sd | rex “^(?<Time>\S+\s+\S+)\s+\S+\s+(?<Error_Code>\d+)[^\]]+\]\s+(?<Service_Name>\S+)\:\s+(?<Error_Message>.+)”

Getting the error:

Error in 'SearchParser': Missing a search command before '^'. Error at position '76' of search query 'search index=rac_sd | rex “^(?<Time>\S+\s+\S+)\s...{snipped} {errorcontext = Code>\d+)[^\]]+\]\s+(}'.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The double quotes may be causing the problem. Delete and re-type quotes and try again.

0 Karma

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

Hey @somesoni2 

Currently, I'm getting the results as the attached screenshot!

But if I want to don't wanna show multiple rows with same Error_message, as in, just one unique Error_message, and adding the times (of each of those rows with that Error_msg) in a list field separated by comma, like this in a table: 

Error_msg: "Could not delete file: /-/PCS.P.KSZ4750J.TRIG.FILE - 4: Failure
Count: 4
Service Name: "c.c.p.r.service.RpsSftpService"
Error code: 22
Time: "2021-11-16 22:23:54.905, 2021-11-18 22:23:31.511, 2021-11-17 22:23:31.511"

Can you please help enhance the query for the same?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

|  rex field=msg "^(?<Time>\S+\s+\S+)\s+\S+\s+(?<Error_Code>\d+)[^\]]+\]\s+(?<Service_Name>\S+)\s+:\s+(?<Error_Message>.+)"
| stats last(Time) as Timr count as Count by Error_Message Error_Code Service_Name 
| sort -Count

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

@somesoni2 this works great but this is showing the time field as the last time. 

But I want the all the times in a list for a row. 

Reference: https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Filter-splunk-results-into-a-List/m-p/575185#M200423

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Just change "

stats last(Time) 

With 

stats list(Time) 

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

Perfect!
Thanks a lot @somesoni2 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

Perfect!
Thanks a lot @somesoni2 

0 Karma

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

@somesoni2 I did as suggested. The error is gone but no results are showing up. 

I ran the base query:

index=rac_sd "ERROR * ---" "taskExecutor-*" | table msg

And the results show up.

But when I'm using your query, no results are showing up. 

0 Karma

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

This query works

| sort -Count

Thanks @somesoni2 

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

Your base search
| rex “^(?<Time>\S+\s+\S+)\s+\S+\s+(?<Error_Code>\d+)[^\]]+\]\s+(?<Service_Name>\S+)\:\s+(?<Error_Message>.+)”
0 Karma

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...