Splunk Search

Filter the Splunk results into a visualization

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

I have Splunk results in following format:

2021-11-13 01:02:50.127 ERROR 23 --- [ taskExecutor-2] c.c.p.r.service.RedisService             : The Redis Cache had no record for key: null Returning empty list.

2021-10-22 21:11:51.996 ERROR 22 --- [ taskExecutor-1] c.c.p.r.service.SftpService           : Could not delete file: /-/XYZ.FILE - 4: Failure

2021-10-22 02:05:14.426 ERROR 22 --- [ taskExecutor-1] c.c.p.r.service.SftpService           : Could not delete file: /-/XYZ.FILE - 4: Failure

I want to create a Visualization in the following format - In the attached screenshot. 

The **count variable** is based on the "Error Message" only. Since "Could not delete file: /-/XYZ.FILE - 4: Failure" appeared twice, hence the count is set to 2. As the logs grow, and this message occurrence increase, this count should increase too.

I tried using erex and substring from Splunk but kinda failed miserably!

Any help on how to form the Splunk query for this visualization would be appreciated.

Thanks

Labels (6)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

This query works

index=rac_sd "ERROR * ---" "taskExecutor-*" 
|  rex field=msg "^(?<Time>\S+\s+\S+)\s+\S+\s+(?<Error_Code>\d+)[^\]]+\]\s+(?<Service_Name>\S+)\s+:\s+(?<Error_Message>.+)"
| table Error_Message Time Error_Code Service_Name 
| eventstats count as Count by Error_Message Error_Code Service_Name 
| sort -Count

Thanks @somesoni2 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

@somesoni2 
I ran the query:

index=rac_sd | rex “^(?<Time>\S+\s+\S+)\s+\S+\s+(?<Error_Code>\d+)[^\]]+\]\s+(?<Service_Name>\S+)\:\s+(?<Error_Message>.+)”

Getting the error:

Error in 'SearchParser': Missing a search command before '^'. Error at position '76' of search query 'search index=rac_sd | rex “^(?<Time>\S+\s+\S+)\s...{snipped} {errorcontext = Code>\d+)[^\]]+\]\s+(}'.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The double quotes may be causing the problem. Delete and re-type quotes and try again.

0 Karma

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

Hey @somesoni2 

Currently, I'm getting the results as the attached screenshot!

But if I want to don't wanna show multiple rows with same Error_message, as in, just one unique Error_message, and adding the times (of each of those rows with that Error_msg) in a list field separated by comma, like this in a table: 

Error_msg: "Could not delete file: /-/PCS.P.KSZ4750J.TRIG.FILE - 4: Failure
Count: 4
Service Name: "c.c.p.r.service.RpsSftpService"
Error code: 22
Time: "2021-11-16 22:23:54.905, 2021-11-18 22:23:31.511, 2021-11-17 22:23:31.511"

Can you please help enhance the query for the same?

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this

|  rex field=msg "^(?<Time>\S+\s+\S+)\s+\S+\s+(?<Error_Code>\d+)[^\]]+\]\s+(?<Service_Name>\S+)\s+:\s+(?<Error_Message>.+)"
| stats last(Time) as Timr count as Count by Error_Message Error_Code Service_Name 
| sort -Count

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

@somesoni2 this works great but this is showing the time field as the last time. 

But I want the all the times in a list for a row. 

Reference: https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Filter-splunk-results-into-a-List/m-p/575185#M200423

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just change "

stats last(Time) 

With 

stats list(Time) 

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

Perfect!
Thanks a lot @somesoni2 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

Perfect!
Thanks a lot @somesoni2 

0 Karma

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

@somesoni2 I did as suggested. The error is gone but no results are showing up. 

I ran the base query:

index=rac_sd "ERROR * ---" "taskExecutor-*" | table msg

And the results show up.

But when I'm using your query, no results are showing up. 

0 Karma

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

This query works

| sort -Count

Thanks @somesoni2 

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Give this a try

Your base search
| rex “^(?<Time>\S+\s+\S+)\s+\S+\s+(?<Error_Code>\d+)[^\]]+\]\s+(?<Service_Name>\S+)\:\s+(?<Error_Message>.+)”
0 Karma

kirti_gupta12
Path Finder

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...