Splunk Search

Filter multisearch results after matching on _time

pholderness

Definitely a noob, and I must be missing something simple...

I have two log files reporting the same error at similar times. I am trying to correlate the two. LDAP authentication failure from both the LDAP server log and the application log.

Using:

| multisearch [search index=1 "222"] [search index=2 "222"] 

returns the desired results, but I would like to filter the results down to those where I have a match in both searches based on the timestamp. For instance, if there are 10 events returned from the first search and 1 returned from the second I would like to show just those two based on a matching timestamp (or bucket if need be.)

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this. It will return events where two or more fall in the same 1-minute bucket. Adjust the bucket size as necessary to reduce the likelihood of two events from the same index.

(index=index1 "222") OR (index=index2 "222") | bucket span=1m _time 
| stats count, list(*) as * by _time
| where count > 1
| fields - count
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this. It will return events where two or more fall in the same 1-minute bucket. Adjust the bucket size as necessary to reduce the likelihood of two events from the same index.

(index=index1 "222") OR (index=index2 "222") | bucket span=1m _time 
| stats count, list(*) as * by _time
| where count > 1
| fields - count
---
0 Karma

pholderness

Oh so close! This does exactly what you have described. However, when I try to view the events I only get to see one of the two. Is there a way that I can see them both?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try the updated query.

---
0 Karma

pholderness

The updated query does give me what I was looking for. A million thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...