Splunk Search

Filter multisearch results after matching on _time

pholderness

Definitely a noob, and I must be missing something simple...

I have two log files reporting the same error at similar times. I am trying to correlate the two. LDAP authentication failure from both the LDAP server log and the application log.

Using:

| multisearch [search index=1 "222"] [search index=2 "222"] 

returns the desired results, but I would like to filter the results down to those where I have a match in both searches based on the timestamp. For instance, if there are 10 events returned from the first search and 1 returned from the second I would like to show just those two based on a matching timestamp (or bucket if need be.)

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this. It will return events where two or more fall in the same 1-minute bucket. Adjust the bucket size as necessary to reduce the likelihood of two events from the same index.

(index=index1 "222") OR (index=index2 "222") | bucket span=1m _time 
| stats count, list(*) as * by _time
| where count > 1
| fields - count
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this. It will return events where two or more fall in the same 1-minute bucket. Adjust the bucket size as necessary to reduce the likelihood of two events from the same index.

(index=index1 "222") OR (index=index2 "222") | bucket span=1m _time 
| stats count, list(*) as * by _time
| where count > 1
| fields - count
---
0 Karma

pholderness

Oh so close! This does exactly what you have described. However, when I try to view the events I only get to see one of the two. Is there a way that I can see them both?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try the updated query.

---
0 Karma

pholderness

The updated query does give me what I was looking for. A million thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...